Valve guides interchangeable?

Hi folks,

I noticed that some online shops / manufacturers use the same part number for valve guides for GS1000 and Z900 (for example APE VK900). Additionally, in said APE kit, all the guides look the same (no difference between intake and exhaust).

This leads me to assume two things:

1. I can use Z1/900/1000 valve guides (OEM or aftermarket) in my GS1000.
  2. I can use OEM intake guides on the exhaust side, even though they have a slightly different shape.

Is this correct?

My reason for asking: Exhaust valve guides seem to be hard to get in Germany. But I still have two for the intake side and there is a shop that sells guides for the Z1.

As APE is an aftermarket seller of 'mainly' race orientated pieces it would be reasonable to assume any 'similar' part may need honing for fit and maybe adjustment in the valve seal area - but saying that if the outer and inner bores suit the head & valves I can't imagine any reason not to use (usual caveats apply) The GS was just a slightly less complicated variation of the Zed motor after all!

• Like 1

I just wasn't sure how important the lenght of the guide is. As in, how far it protrudes into the airstream. Because this probably has some impact on how much it can cool the valve. But if they are doing it for racing it can't be that bad.

And yeah, the "racing spec" is a bit of a problem, having to ream/hone the guides. I'd be happy with using OEM stuff, but like I said, that seems hard to find in my neck of the woods. I'll just have to see how far I'll get.

I didn't realize the GS and Z motors were that similar.

The OEM ones are, the aftermarket ones seem to be the same length for in and ex.

Do you mean they swapped them on accident or on purpose? If the latter, did they state a reason? Did you notice any difference?