Gsxr 92 slingshot crash bungs

Hi all. 

Has anyone with the 1100 92 slingshot been able to fit a crash bung kit to the front and rear spindles or any where off the frame? If so what set up did you use for the front and rear spindle? Looking at kits and ideas such as threaded bars,lock nuts,bungs with spacers/washers to stuff like expansion screw set ups to keep them attached to the spindles. However im not sure of the internal diameter of both front and rear spindle so suss out what I need and what will fit.

If anyone has photos of crash bungs on there slingshots please let me see as it'll give me a better idea on how it'll be for my build. Cheers

You might be able to modify some to fit, but usually those axle slider bungs fit into hollow axles. As for the rest of the bike, get some good aftermarket case covers. They're the first thing that will hit and the frames are pretty much fully protected by the engine. Crash bungs weren't really a thing back in the day when these bikes came out. You can get some crash guards for a blandit, but they mount to the lower part of the frame and will most likely dent/bend the frame in a crash more than actually protecting anything.

Most of the sliders I've used on other bikes over the years mount to the upper side engine mounts, something Slingshots don't have. There's just no place really to mount anything like that, which is why everyone runs aftermarket case covers.

56 minutes ago, Upshotknothole said:

You might be able to modify some to fit, but usually those axle slider bungs fit into hollow axles. As for the rest of the bike, get some good aftermarket case covers. They're the first thing that will hit and the frames are pretty much fully protected by the engine. Crash bungs weren't really a thing back in the day when these bikes came out. You can get some crash guards for a blandit, but they mount to the lower part of the frame and will most likely dent/bend the frame in a crash more than actually protecting anything.

Most of the sliders I've used on other bikes over the years mount to the upper side engine mounts, something Slingshots don't have. There's just no place really to mount anything like that, which is why everyone runs aftermarket case covers.

I'll look at getting the aftermarket case covers then as extra insurance. It makes perfect sense with the ali frame and crash bars under impact and more likely to buckle the frame.

I'll look at modifying bungs onto it somehow with some trial and error and see what's more sturdy

Allready got sliders on the head on the head

• Like 1

Yeah, from past experience if one of these goes down without the fairings on it, the main things that hit are the bars, tank, case cover, tail, exhaust, and foot controls.

No idea on the diameter, but they're tiny. You might be able to use a long bolt to connect the two sliders, but the axles aren't really something I have ever really worried about that much. The spools on the swing arm already stick out farther than the axle does in case the bike happens to tip over, and I've snapped front axle sliders right off of modern bikes at pretty low speeds.

All I've ever ran on any of my slingshots for the past 20 years are case covers. The factory ones are paper thin and won't do much more than send a bunch of metal and gravel into the engine in a crash. Beyond that, good insurance and don't crash. ;)

I once bought the bottom end of an 1100 slabby engine from a trackday bike that had bungs fitted to the fairing mounts on the cylinder head, which was then written off in a crash. So probably best avoid that sort of crash 'protection.'

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 1