Help my old birds leaking

Hi all,

bought a 1993 GSX1100F with only 4k on the clock and 2 owners (father then son) … she looks like she’s out of a packet but bought with carbs off .. I’ve pooed them on after cleaning bowls but she’s leaking on No4, any advice? Also would a bench test/balance be ok or do I need something a bit more technical? I’d love to get her bk on the road as she’s been kept hostage in a glass case for 13 years in a bloody man cave

Hi,

Welcome to OSS.

If it's been sat for over a decade I would suspect the o-rings / gaskets in the carbs may have dried out and shrunk. If your lucky the may swell and re-seal now the carbs have fuel in.

It could be a sticky needle valve etc.

I'm sure an adult will be along with a proper answer.

Edited by SiBag

Agree with SiBag give the carbs a go over with good ( genuine) o rings etc dont use cheap ones that are the 'right size' as they leak as sure as eggs is eggs , no hard parts should be worn out at 4k . On another point check the intake rubbers and o rings are ok and put some oil/cam lube onto the cams and rockers before turning the engine over BY HAND to make sure no valves or such like has stuck open after 13 years  bench test for leaks and balance ok till it's running then balance on bike as normal 

Edited by DAZ
Added text