Is this wire SUPPOSED to be connected to something?

I cracked open the highlight on a project 1981 GS850GLX and found a brown wire that was NOT connected to anything in the lamp body. I consulted the closest color diagram I have on hand for the bike, and I see this oddity in the diagram. The only brown wire I can find seems to have a connect end that doesn't connect to anything? I figure one or more of the following is true:

a) I need a more correct wiring diagram, the one I'm using is for a 1980 GS850 GLT supposedly.
b) The diagram has a "flaw" (unlikely as this is from BikeCliff archive)
c) I'm, completely misreading the diagram

I have included the diagram with the portion in question pointed out. Can someone wiser than me please advise? A search turned up nothing on this matter.

Will buy anyone who has a color GLX/Z diagram to hand off a beer too ;)

Screenshot 2023-08-22 210626.png

Edited by BlatantNoobery

On a recent complete rewire not a single workshop manual showed or matched the original loomes wire colours exactly, and I’ve got three different manuals for the bike in question including factory manuals with revisions.

So don’t expect the diagrams to always be 100% correct.

The important information is that the connections joining up each component are correct, a good black and white diagram is in my opinion essentially better than colour, let’s face it you could use all the same colour wire in a loom to achieve  the desired result.

Looms will also contain some unconnected wires as across the model range different accessories can be fitted, as in your diagram, there is no parking light as Captain Chaos has pointed out.

On 8/24/2023 at 5:55 PM, ral said:

On a recent complete rewire not a single workshop manual showed or matched the original loomes wire colours exactly, and I’ve got three different manuals for the bike in question including factory manuals with revisions.

So don’t expect the diagrams to always be 100% correct.

The important information is that the connections joining up each component are correct, a good black and white diagram is in my opinion essentially better than colour, let’s face it you could use all the same colour wire in a loom to achieve  the desired result.

Looms will also contain some unconnected wires as across the model range different accessories can be fitted, as in your diagram, there is no parking light as Captain Chaos has pointed out.

Thanks! Agreed... my first bike resto, but I've done a fair amount on cars in the past. I'm leaning on 3 diagrams (850g, 850glt, 1100gl), a ton of pictures/videos on my phone, and some general know-how... and maybe some prayers hah