Well,  just bought an engine in a frame and a pile of bits for £100 to keep me quiet over the winter.  Bike evidently last ran  over 2 years ago. its a JDM 1988 model with the little say what now!? motor ( imported in 1996 ). 

Managed to unsieze the engine and the valves are snapping shut as sticky in the guides. The engine rotates clockwise ( when standing on the LH side ) but just locks up when you turn it anticlockwise. Is this usual ?  The camchain is so tight you can play tunes on it ( normal ?). The poor thing has been mistreated over the years.

I would like to keep it true as a 400 but understand a gsx600F motor would drop sraight in ? ( both water cooled  ? )if the 400 is scrap.

Anyone got a workshop manual for the 400 ?   Oh yeah it came with a brand new pair of Michelin Streetsport tyres and 3 new discs !!

I maybe along in the wanted ads before too long !!

Any comments and information on the little beastie will be greatly appreciated,

Cheers Gaz

• Like 1

The gsx400fw is a water cooler but the 600 is an oilcooled engine ,don't know if the engine mounts are the same but if they are then you've got a lot more choice available to you if the 400 is unsalvagable  as you've got all the oilcooled range to choose from if not maybe the bandit 400 wc may offer parts for the engine 

Cheers guys , taken head off and everything looks nice and clean, no marks on the bores , cams look good so lap the valves and new stem seals and rebuild it.

Does anyone have ,or know of,a wiring diagram for this GSX400FJ ?  I can work most of it out but its been hacked and I think bits are missing. Just need a reference before trying to fix it.

Thanks Gaz