turbo build 2023

After 15 months in a workshop, I am convinced the bike does like going outside.

So many problems have happened and as soon as I fix one thing, something else has come along. Now I have overcome all those, I thought the road testing and tuning would be the easy part.

I had 2 days of dry weather and time off work and the bike now has an MOT and insurance and road tax. :)

Day 1 and I did a few road tests. A couple of times the bike just stopped and then started immediately and there was some poor throttle response. You could see on the fuel map where Autotune was doing its thing and I could feel the improvements.

Day 2 and did a compression test and that was all good. Fuel filter was inspected and cleaned I checked the spark plugs and then closed the gap up a tiny amount. I put the Megasquirt into test mode and all the sparks looked strong and good. Rode it for about 15 miles and all seemed ok and then it stopped again. It started up straight away and was good for a few miles, even hitting a bit of boost. But this was followed by more spluttering and the engine cut out again.

I took the injectors out and I have sent them to be checked or, if it is not too expensive, I will get some others that are more suited to the size of the engine. It's running dark blue 565cc/min injectors from a Subaru WRX which is 2.5 litre compared to my 1216cc and whilst they came out of a running car, I have no idea of their history. I have done a couple of static fuel tests in the past and while they are putting out approximately the same amount, it is not proof that all is 100%.

I'm guessing it is not a wiring issue so fingers crossed.

3 points - quite big injectors for engine size & state of tune - my 1460 used 8x205cc for 370hp. 2nd if the fuel filter is capable of disassembly I'd say it's not suited for efi as they should filter in 5-10 micron range and normally not serviceable. 3rd - I use std JR9B's in above bike but have used JR10C's with nitrous.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Also using stock  JR9B. Used  iridium plugs before a while ago also in a turbo bike  and 2 of those were killed rather quickly, fortunately debris left the engine ok but turbine blades took a hit. 

Edited by peter1127
  • Like 1