How to fit pingel tap on 7/11 slabside

Zac

Years ago (convinced I was suffering from fuel starvation at the top end) I fitted a pingel high flow tap to my gsxr750f 

it’s running a gsxr1100m engine with a 1216 kit.

it all seemed to fit and I used it like that for a few years.  But now I’ve had the bike apart to do some light restoration, it won’t go back together !

the bigger pingel fuel tap fouls on the oil drain line take off on the back of the rocker cover as it’s higher up due to bigger engine.

the only way I can see it working is to lift the tank by about 15mm at the front and back.

I don’t know what’s changed but there’s no way this will fit even though it used to!

Anyone got any tips for fitting the bigger pingel taps in a cramped 7/11 slabside ?

I thought to go back to the oem tap but it might not seal as you have to drill out a round hole for the pingel and also I sold it on Eblag years ago and can’t find any original ones for sale that don’t have the vacuum bit.

Is there space to modify the tank and move the tap? Having a threaded boss welded in to your tank may also raise the tap, especially one with a female thread so the tap screws directly in but 15mm is a lot :( My tap goes in this way. It does not have the external retainer ring and the body of the tap goes up into a recess with an o'ring seal.

Oh, and the bit on the rocker cover feeds oil into the cover under pressure. It's not a drain.

Thanks Dezza that might be a good option as the pingel has a thick adapter plate that bolts on first and is about 12mm tall. If a boss could be welded into the tank all that clearance would be regained, although I wouldn’t be able to use the bottom but if fuel in the tank but only 10mm or so.

yes I mean the oil feed, doh the drain is on the front.

thanks captain chaos that’s a much cheaper option, I haven’t actually had the engine out as part of my fettling so it shouldn’t have changed but if I can use the play in the mounts to tilt the motor a tiny bit that might do it, I’d be that bit closer to downdraught carbs too :-)