GSX 750ES 1983 Newcomer in need of assistance

Fla

Hello! 

I'm new to bikes and the whole community as a whole. I recently got my hands on this old machine which I figured I could both have fun with and work on, figured it'd be a sweet introduction to the technical hindrances. 

Before I recently got it, it had been having prior work started on it as prior owner wanted to make into a cafe racer, but decided to sell instead. One of the things he did was change to a digital speedometer where has hasn't successfully connected everything (i.e. blinkers and speed reading). 

I was trying to get the seat cover (which I failed, its difficult getting seat cover off) etc off for better access to the cables etc so I removed all the easy ones first and saw 2 cables had been loose in the back. I plugged them, and now it won't ignite at all when I turn the key in ignition. 

You guys have any ideas on what it may be and how to hopefully resolve it. 

Thank you bunches! :)

Edited by Fla
Grammar

Hi Fia, it sounds like you don't know much about bikes and how they work !!!  im not knocking you for having a go but it might be best to take it to someone who knows what they are doing, and you can learn form them.  if you make a mistake on a bike it can danger your life. :tu 

58 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

Hi Fia, it sounds like you don't know much about bikes and how they work !!!  im not knocking you for having a go but it might be best to take it to someone who knows what they are doing, and you can learn form them.  if you make a mistake on a bike it can danger your life. :tu 

That's why I came to you guys, you're that someone! :)

I'm all in for the learning

Unfortunately I bet I'm far aways being in Norway. 

Attached pics you'll see the state of battery, which worked very good before I touched the cables on the 2nd pic. 2 of the were initially loose (yellow and another color), that's when it decided to not give me any power any longer. I tried unplugging and then turning on ignition in order, but no luck.

IMG20230604145551.jpg

IMG20230604145520.jpg

As stated by other members, first thing I recommend you should do is get the manual printed out, the entire stack. It will tell you how to diagnose most common issues.

I just got a 83 750es as well a couple of weeks ago, which I am working on with a friend who is much more experiences than I am with bikes, and trying to learn something in the process.  If you send more images I can compare the wiring to what we have here, but given it's a project bike you have taken on, there is a chance the wiring has been messed with previously.

Happy to help whichever way possible, did you check your kill switch? I will have a look tomorrow when I'm at the garage if it hasn't worked out by then. Manual will tell you which wires do what as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Just giving an update, I've been a bit lazy with the bike: 

The fuse box seemed to be faulty, we got it going now. 

The fuses themselves were fine, it was the fuseholder that had the issue.

Thank you everyone for trying to help :x.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I own a 1983 GS750ESD (in the U.S. that's what they were called)  You fuse box is not in the stock position. That looks like a Regulator/Rectifier mounted where the tool box used to go.  There should be 3 wires coming from the stator, and two=/- going to the battery, if it was modified the way most people to get away from the horrid design the bikes came with.  Service Manuals are easy to find in .pdf online if you Google for them.  Without a wiring diagram, you will be going in circles. :)