Gsx1100et head leak

del649

Hi, hoping someone can give me some guidance,  I have taken the head of the engine as it was leaking, (not the two front bolt seals) when I removed it the gasket appeared to have eight seals in the outer studs and one around the camchain tunnel. The new one i have has none and no such seals in the gasket set. Is it supposed to have them or has someone added them in.

Thanks in advance

It might offer a clue. The Cometic gasket below is a laminate gasket but they don't have 'O' rings at the studs because the laminate material is very soft and seals when it squashes under torquing. Other makes, the original for example, are quite a hard already compressed laminate and they need the 'O' rings as the gasket itself squashes very little.

Cometic.thumb.jpg.9e6bd5c4ff2ac4fb2da1e3cd024f202b.jpg

That looks like a Wiseco 'copy', (see below) it's a loose laminate type that crushes when torqued down. The four rivets keep the sheets aligned until it's under compression.

The other more conventional laminate types don't have the rivets as the sheets are glued together like plywood.

Personally, I'd fit that as is, torque it up and good to go.

wiseco.thumb.jpg.ee1308d5edf5d504895badbeb4df5e9e.jpg