Got an gsxr600 engine a few weeks ago, sold cheap as water had gotten into the inlet ports while it had been stored, minimal I should add, stripped the head off yesterday, two inlet valves showing rust and the rusty water had gotten into one bore. The engine turns over, theres nothing on the bore, no scraping noises or anything. I stripped the valves out of the head, two valves were tight and I had to tap them through, a smear of brown watery gunk on their stems. Which wiped off easy enough, should I check for anything else? Or just clean it all up, lap the valves and reassemble?

Guest YoshiJohnny

If nothing is in the bore I'd say it will be ok...clean the valves and guides...new guide seals for peace of mind plenty of moly grease when you build them and pour oil over the valvetrain before the rocker cover goes on...

I bought a motor a few years ago. The guy had taken the carbs, plugs  and exhaust  off, and didn't cover it up.  Said he had! When I took the sump plug out, about 1 gallon of water came out. Buggered, I thought. Stripped it down, and the bores were naturally fucked! 'Bottom end will be scrap, also', thinks I. On splitting the cases, the bottom end was as new!  Which was nice. So, s/h barrels and pistons, and away we go!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

get the sump off before you run it. if water has got in, even if its not damaged the bores, it may well have gone past the rings into the sump. micht be a teaspoon full, might be half a gallon, you wont know if you dont check, and if its sat in the sump at the bottom, theres a possibility, however remote that its dep enough to have lifted the oil above the oil strainer meaning that a startup might suck it through the lubrication system. as i said, this is all highly unlikely, but it is still a possibility.