Quick shock length question

Joseph

I think it should be doable, but in the interest of high quality aftermarket shock use, could i get away with using a 300mm shock from another brand (mountwise it is compatible) on a slingshot frame (312 shock i think ?), thanks to adjustable dogbones alone ?

• Like 1

Should be okay if the non-Suzuki is around the same weight (roughly). Fine tune for your own weight with changing the spring for whatever rate suits. Only concern I can think of would be that the new shorter shock has a stroke close to the original. Don't want the shock bottoming out under full compression.

15 minutes ago, Joseph said:

Cool.

I checked, spring rate is higher on the intended shock than the slingshot shock (seems common on more recent suspension items)

Stroke is 60 on the replacement for 67 on the slingshot, does that seem reasonable ?

Should be okay with the stoke as pretty close to original. It's going to be a case of trial and error testing the new shock on the road once you've played around with pre-load and sag. If too stiff you might sort it with a softer spring (if even needed).

Edited by Jaydee
2 hours ago, Joseph said:

Will do. The shock i'm looking at fitting is from the Ohlins TTX range so i'm hoping there will be enough adjustability to tune it 

You never mentioned it was an Ohlins TTX! You're out the window with options and settings. I have a gsxr 1000 K6 TTX in one of my slingshots.

Haha. Yeah i pencilled in the TTX shock option on the provisional spec sheet of this build. 

You mention K6 shock but i thought they didn't have a clevis lower mount ? If that can be swapped out it would allow more source options, is that what you did ?

Edited by Joseph
1 hour ago, coombehouse said:

I don't think they did a ttx shock for a k5/6. K7 onwards were ttx AFAIK.

I'll find out the SU code on it tomorrow. Think you could be right guys about it being k7. Found a pic from a while ago of what came out and what went in.

20200324_163657.jpg

• Like 1