Yoshimura F1 fairing on '91 1100 ?

Joseph

Has anyone done this ?

Because i'm helping a mate do it on his, but, it seems impossible ?

Under tray can't not hit the front tyre, angle of said under tray doesn't allow to line up with the head fairing join line (15cm gap at the rear)

Comparing to photos online i can't see it matching at all

Edited by Joseph
1 hour ago, Joseph said:

Has anyone done this ?

Because i'm helping a mate do it on his, but, it seems impossible ?

Under tray can't not hit the front tyre, angle of said under tray doesn't allow to line up with the head fairing join line (15cm gap at the rear)

Comparing to photos online i can't see it matching at all

Which fairing are you talking about? 

Pics  would help.

• Like 1

I'm not Prince William so Airtech is a bit out of budget :D

We got 2 sets from Raggededge, i suppose the original fairings were built for quite a tiny race factory made frame, and the fairings available were moulded from the original race fairings ?

I seem to have managed to get somewhere since i posted, (tbh i completely overlooked the raised LSL clip ons my mate had on the bike, they completely messed up perception of things)

But still very confused as to how much of the undertray i seem to need to lop off for it to clear the exhaust

IMG_20220218_120252.thumb.jpg.305d411d29a31395b2e7f169634e5cb9.jpg

IMG_20220218_120304.thumb.jpg.d236db94ac6c2fc4acb5cce62d026a8e.jpg

Basically the whole fairing needs to :

- come up a bit

- go back a bit

- rotate slightly clockwise (it's slanted down/backwards at the mo)

Only way this can be done is by chopping all the "race" extension off the rear of the undertray

This bike (granted is a 750, and i don't know what exhaust header it's got) doesn't seem to have had that issue :

1.thumb.jpg.100f8d0175a8857dd74bd12bd21f0c0a.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.80d947c6738d040b16996fc7082daf1b.jpg

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 2

The ragged edge fairings pictured, may possibly be cribbed from the airtech ones, not via a member on here...

You won't fit them to an 1100 with above yoke clip ons, even less so with clip ons that are raised too.  You will either have to fit under yoke clip ons, or cut the top fairing about to clear the raised bars.

Well it'll fit at some point, but it's wafer thin wobbly and the side panels don't slot into the undertray on the right side (side panel too large) you have to force stuff it in (ultimately redo the glassfiber at that area) and on the other side the shape is completely off, creating a convex recess at the front of the fairing where the side panel joins the undertray.

I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone it's far from a nice job that one could expect adjusting new fairings to a bike could be

I'm in France

yeah that sucks......the only other guys i know that do something close is Poly26. As im sure u know, are in france. The other person who might have something is Dave at HiFibre in wakefeild England (near Leeds).

Yoshi replica fairings are hard to get, its a shame Jason fibreman dosnt do them, cause his fairings are top notch.

Edited by Kamikaze
  • Like 1

Right. Didn't know rofidal did anything yoshi styled. 

I mean we're stuck with it now, we'll be able to sort it out to a decent standard but O.o (and i ordered one at the same time for my '92 W)

Poly26 ones are very heavily built (priced accordingly to the materials used i guess). What they make is around 4mm thick.

Would be good to have something inbetween, thickness wise. How much bracing is needed with these thinner fairings ?

Edited by Joseph

Yeah sorry i meant poly26 not Rofidal. I just edited the post a few secs ago.

4 minutes ago, Joseph said:

Poly26 ones are very heavily built (priced accordingly to the materials used i guess). What they make is around 4mm thick.

Would be good to have something inbetween, thickness wise. How much bracing is needed with these thinner fairings ?

It really depends on how much flex they have. if they wave around like a flag, then painting them is a pain in the ass and they will crack at the bends every time there fitted or removed.

Laying another sheet of glass fibre inside will make it stronger but might also stiffen it alittle to the point it might not fit the shape u want. Another way to brace the fairings to the fittings is to rivet a small alloy piece around the mounting hole.

As u can see here on the nose fairing, the alloy piece is colour matched but it supports the mounting point on the clylinder head, same goes for the tail section near the footpeg heelplate

Yoshi GSX-R750 TTF128.jpg

• Like 1