Standard or aftermarket cams? (GSX1100)

BigPhil

Well they were standard, that worm drive for a rev cable is a sure sign. But, slotted wheels aren't standard which suggests they've had a bit of a grind. Get the vernier out, it's measuring time. You'll probably have to cross reference with Piper and Kents web sites to get an idea.

Other clues could be in the rockers, inlet particularly. There an oil hole on them with a pronounced upturn dimple that needs grinding back even for stage 1's, plus if it looks like the bike's had a lot of valve guide work on the exhausts suspect a bit more. Stage 2's need the valve guide seals sending into the head to get extra lift, rubbed out or missing guide seals is a sure sign.

• Like 2

I looked at getting a set of rockers resurfaced here - it was actually cheaper to buy new :S

I spoke to Phil and quoted me £25 a rocker. That's a lot cheaper than new ones. He suggested giving the cams a skim too as they are a bit worn.

Edited by BigPhil
spelling
  • 2 weeks later...

Contact Phil Joy he can resurface them for a decent price. He has done a few cams and rocker pads for me and always does a great job.

A good idea, I've used hardwelded rockers in my racing engine for five years and they show no wear at all. They are worth the money, even if it costs more than new OEM parts.