GS1000st cam timing.

Steveg

1714268747_20Rivets.jpg.thumb.png.3b90b0a91a278866e25015c03a1779d3.png

757239723_19Rivets.jpg.thumb.png.cf1012e9967f246ec5be495d34f30373.png

Hi,

Just thought I would share this with the forum regarding the cam timing on certain GS1000 models with the cam wheel part number 451.

A number of years ago, the top end was serviced and as per the manual, 20 rivets between the cam arrows had been set. Although it was not noticed that the end notches did not face each other as the factory manual was followed. However, the performance was always on the pow side for a 1000cc machine and not much was thought about it until I read recently that cam wheelsd with part numbers 451 should have 19 chain rivets between the arrows. This also lines up the cam end notches so they face each other. I took the cam cover off and found that I had the 451 number on the inlet cam and 490 on the exhaustr cam so today I have adjusted this to 19 rivets. see picture.

Thinking about this, the cams have 30 teeth so one tooth measures as 12 camshaft degrees (24 crankshaft degrees!) so I am hoping that this fixes the performance issue. There was never any contact between the valves and pistons so I guess I was lucky, but the factory manual did not have this information documented in their manual and I have only just found this out recently. 

20 Rivets.jpg.png

19 Rivets.jpg.png

20 Rivets.jpg.png

19 Rivets.jpg.png

Edited by Steveg
Too many pictures
  • Like 2
  • 3 years later...