Rear wheel brake setup dilemma

Neveragain55

Hi Gang,

I decided to post any questions I have regarding my "Project X" build in here opposed to the projects thread.

If this isn't the right place for this question, I'm sure the moderators will guide me to where I have to go.

I'm still struggling with my rear wheel setup and the reason why is because I don't want to just throw a bunch of money at parts only to try them on and find that they don't fit.

I did a bunch of searching today trying to find a cross reference chart or site that lists cross reference's of Suzuki motorcycle parts (specifically rear wheel & brake parts) so I can save a ton of time & money.

The closest I've found was RonAyers.com that lists all bikes that a particular part will fit, but it still doesn't give me what I need.

What I've been doing up until now is going on an OEM Suzuki parts site, and writing down all the parts numbers of the parts listed, and then trying to see which parts will fit on which models in which years. (very time consuming, not very accurate, and not helpful at all)

On to the question.......do any of you seasoned experts know of such a site or chart that somebody created so that I can finally figure out which parts will work best with this strange situation I've got going on.

What's my situation you ask: I have a 1980's JCM underbraced rear swingarm, with a "top-side" torque arm mount, with a 1995 "straight" three spoke rear wheel that came off of a 1995 GSXR750, that has a 9.5 inch diameter rear rotor.

The brake hanger for that year wheel was the one that slid into the stock swingarm eliminating the need of a torque arm. (which is why I'm having so much trouble, I'm not using a stock swingarm)

I have a rear brake caliper from a 1984 GS1150 that I want to use because the torque arm mount is in the right location for the swingarm that I have, but the hanger that came with it is too long. The rotor on my wheel is 9.5 inches in diameter, and the caliper sits slightly too high.

Yes, I could just get an 11 inch diameter rear rotor and that would solve my problem, but the bolt hole pattern for the 11 inch rear rotor is different than the 9.5 inch rear rotor. I've measured the bolt hole pattern of both rotors and they're definitely different. (thanks Suzuki..>:()

If there is an 11 inch rotor with the same bolt hole pattern that will fit my 95 wheel then I'm all set, but I can't find any info on one.

So I need a hanger short enough to make the brake caliper I have work.

Yes, I probably could use a brake caliper from a smaller bike like a 550 but I don't know for sure that it will fit unless I buy one and test fit it, and that's exactly what I don't want to do. I really want to be sure about what I'm getting and if it will fit "before" I spend any money.

I really like the design & look of the GS1150 caliper and I really want to use it if I can.

Any & all comments & suggestions are welcome, thanks guys...... 

Edited by Neveragain55
spelling correction

If you want to go with an EFE caliper mounted above the axel it sounds to me like your only option is a custom made carrier and spacers. The torque arm may have to be attached to the caliper carrier, not the caliper, depending on clearance. If so, the caliper may need to be modified too but you'll be able to use the disc meant for the wheel. All this will be much easier if you use a small rear caliper from another bike (e.g. a Brembo from an Italian machine) rather than the great big EFE caliper as you'll get more room to play with but each to their own:).

7 hours ago, Dezza said:

If you want to go with an EFE caliper mounted above the axel it sounds to me like your only option is a custom made carrier and spacers. The torque arm may have to be attached to the caliper carrier, not the caliper, depending on clearance. If so, the caliper may need to be modified too but you'll be able to use the disc meant for the wheel. All this will be much easier if you use a small rear caliper from another bike (e.g. a Brembo from an Italian machine) rather than the great big EFE caliper as you'll get more room to play with but each to their own:).

Understood Deeza,

I'm "slowly" starting to accept the fact that I may just have to go with a smaller brake caliper that came with the shorter hanger that I need. 

I found a brake hanger on (you know where) that fits the 2004 to 2009 GS500 bikes that looks to be the correct length. It's roughly a half inch shorter than the hanger that came with the GS1150 caliper that I have, so as long as the mounting holes line up, I'll be all set.

I know I said I didn't want to just keep buying parts until I got what I needed, but for $9.00 bucks.....what the hell, right?

If it doesn't work I'll just throw it in the box with the rest of spare parts that I could either use in the future, or try to sell down the road.

The guy selling this unit was nice enough to put a ruler against it so I could see the length.

Check it out:

1709577169_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.3fe61fc9c0bb9f6025be6307dccceb5a.jpg

1920195937_s-l1600(2)(3).thumb.jpg.4fafdb942a7671fad7fad28b046514dc.jpg

This hanger appears to be 4.5 inches in length, the hanger that is currently attached to the GS1150 caliper is exactly 5 inches in length, and that 1/2 inch is exactly what I need to cover my 9.5 inch diameter rotor.

If I bolted up the GS1150 unit (as it is with the hanger it came with) the pads go beyond the top of the rotor by about.....you guessed it, a half an inch.

As long as the mounting holes (from the hanger above) line up to the GS1150 caliper I have, I'll be all set.

Here's the caliper I currently have:

1508011417_s-l16002.thumb.jpg.9a69b6a6211e9c460dde0eea0740543f.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.d01996cbaaea21d743451026718b38f7.jpg

I promise to keep you guys posted, including pics as no doubt someone in the future will run into this same situation and could reference this thread as a guide on what to do. 

Thanks again for the advice.......