Shock Mount Advice

BikeMonkey

Hi All,

Glad to see the forum is back, had a dalliance on the pro board thang, but hats off to the admins for getting us back up and running.

I need some advice, I've got it in my head to install an SSSA on my GSXR1100M. I've got it all lined up in the frame and it's centred well. I just need to get the top mount sorted. I've had a browse around and most folk seem to have used the 750 slingshot as the frame of choice for this type of conversion. So,  the question is, do I cut off the lugs and give my self a screw on top mount similar to the one UK Lee did years back or do I get some new lugs welded on? I'm worried about taking meat out of the spar and weakening the frame + I don't want the shock breaking free and hitting me in my nethers before throwing me down the road.

Any advice greatly received!

J

Edited by BikeMonkey

Fairly certain the top shock mount bolts to the frame on slingshot 750s. so you just fabricate a new mount and bolt it on.

The K models 750 and 11  have the removable top shock mount.  The top shock mounts are offset to the left with a vfr arm. How far left depends on what wheel, size of tyre etc. Handy enough to make new mount plates once you've cut off the old ones and flap wheeled the welding surface flat. I thought of doing adjustable top shock mount but in the end I went with adjustable dog bones to change the angle of the arm. ;)

• 1 month later...

We made these to get away with an 340mm shock on a 88 750. 

On some 1100 frames you need to cut the original flaps off the chassis and drill holes to use it. But maybe this is an option.

They will be delivered like on the picture so you need to weld it yourself, so you can fix it easily to the offset you need. Got a few sets left.

(also can cut them out off aluminium  but you need a Ac/dc tig welding machine which not everybody have in his shed.)

image.jpeg