Needle bearing clutch basket GSX750ES, 1985

Working on my clutch i found the clutch basket bolt to be loose. Hopefully this is the reason of vibrations revs >5000. But I also found a small play/glitch in the house itself wich can only be the needle bearing. Is that normal? Or should it be no play at all? Bike has done 87000 kilometers...

Edited by Marxus

Hi and welcome to OSS.

Please post an intro in the general section. That is not part of my job description...( it is to scare newbies away) unless they PM me pictures of the swedish female volleybal team ;)

If the construction of the 750 clutch basket is the same as the 1100es..  there is a steel insert in the aluminium clutch basket. The steel bit of the basket  sits on the shaft. The clutch basket needs some play which - on the 1100- can be set with shims . 

Pretty sure thats covered in the factory manual. <- thats a hint to read it. 

Or..  the steel insert has worked itself loose. Then its time for a new basket.

• Like 2

Tnx for the answer, i cant really find any usefull info in the factory manual. 

The steel bit of the basket is still solid in the aluminium and goes on a needle bearing that goes on another steel bit and then onto the shaft in to the gearbox. I'm pretty sure the play is in the bearing - since it is probably weaker and moves more  than the steel parts it rolls on. Maybe it can be all three parts of course but the clutch lookes ok and has been replaced during the bikes lifetime (and someone put the oil pump gear back the wrong way round) but I was just wondering how much play the feel should be in the basket (without the plates mounted). 

image.png.dcdf7e4cb5cdb96b7cad21047e7d99dc.png

I'm not sure what you meant by putting a post in the general section, I just want to ride my OSS ( I don't know any member of the swedish female volleybal team (I did make out with one from the danish team 100 years ago) but they would be welcome for a ride:)

Nr 7 is the spacer i meant

This is a screenshot of the adviced play of an after market clutch basket for a gsx1100ef in inches.Screenshot_20200607-231550_Drive.thumb.jpg.dc38245ec7fe0a0b421541fcecad6305.jpg

example

I realise this is for a different model but it does give you a indication that your clutch basket needs some play too.

The comment i made regarding the general section was intented for you to say "hello... i am a newbie and i share your interests in oss.. blabla.. beer.. bikes " 

• Like 2

This play .003-.006 isnt in the factory manual so I'm glad you shared that. I'm pretty sure that goes for my bike too. If the play is too big could it result in vibrations at high revs? I am experiencing vibrations >4000 even though I have sync carbs and the rotor has no play at all. The vibes disapear when i pull the clutch.

@Duckndivehas posted pictures of setting final play on the EFE item.

Here is a topic with a hint

And another with the pictures

Others have experienced clutch rattle in neutral which was due to the carbs being put of sync.

Yours sounds a bit like a clutch balance / play issue.  

Some clutch baskets had some sort of rubber bungs in them to stop the rattle. 

Maybe some of your rubbers are missing?