Testing cdi and pickups

wraith

Ok, not getting very far with getting a spark on the project bike :|

Tested all the wires in the harness and all are good.

Can't find in the manual on how to test the cdi and pickups?

So.

1. How do I test the cdi (gsx1100f)

2. How do I test the pickup ( have put multimeter on yellow to earth turn engine on change same with the blue, also put multimeter to both yellow and blue turned engine no change)

It's a b12 motor with b12 pickup, gsxr1100k harness, gsxr 4 wire ignition, gsx1100f power screen cdi, bandit l/h switch gear and for now gsxr slingshot r/h switch gear. All the other electoral parts are working just no spark.

I have got slabside cdi pickups and rota which I can put on but would like to know what is wrong with the above ;)

Thanks.

You should have a continuous +12 vdc on one tab of each of the ignition coils with ignition switch on.  When the engine cranks, the CDI grounds the other tab of each ignition coil to make the coil fire its respective cylinders. This is easiest seen with a analog voltmeter set to DC volts.  The needle will pulse from aprox 10 vdc to 0 vdc in a sweeping motion. The pickup signal is an input into the CDI that is used to determine when to generate this ground switching to the coils.  Do you have an analog voltmeter? Have you already tested this part?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Captn said:

You should have a continuous +12 vdc on one tab of each of the ignition coils with ignition switch on.  When the engine cranks, the CDI grounds the other tab of each ignition coil to make the coil fire its respective cylinders. This is easiest seen with a analog voltmeter set to DC volts.  The needle will pulse from aprox 10 vdc to 0 vdc in a sweeping motion. The pickup signal is an input into the CDI that is used to determine when to generate this ground switching to the coils.  Do you have an analog voltmeter? Have you already tested this part?

Not got a analog voltmeter, just this one

IMG_20200410_142807741.thumb.jpg.cf3fac0268d412e0f2aafef225f2de33.jpg

Ok, one step forward I think xD just plugged a side light bulb in to each coil (disconnected the orange/white and white plugged build in to them and then same on over coil orange/white and black/yellow) turned engine over and not a flicker from the build on ever coil.

Sorry I'm not more on it. I need the wiring diagrams in hand to really get down to work.  Memory isn't what it used to be.  Age and all....  I will be back in the shop on Sunday and have all pertinent bits to figure this out if we dont find the issue before then.  

• Like 1

Ok @Captn

Just put charge battery on only reads 12.8v, so could do with a bit more charge but cranks the engine over ok.

contacted the multimeter positive to the orange/white at the coil and the negative the the frame earth, turned ignition switch on, reads 12v.

turned engine over went down to 9.5v when turning over. Then when I stop turning engine over it went back upto 12v.

Edited by wraith
Phone

Yes. Good. That means there is primary supply voltage to the coil. Next we need to see if the CDI is switching the ground to the coils.  You can disconnect the orange and black wires from the coil tabs and hook up the test light to the orange and black wires. Hook up your digital multimeter to the orange wire (red probe) and battery negative (black probe). Ignition on and crank engine over about 10 revolutions.  See if test light flickers and make sure the + voltage still reads on the meter.

• Like 1

Sounds like CDI not firing coils.  The signal coming from the pick up is a pulsing signal best measured with a analog meter.  In this case the light bulb won't work as the pulsing voltage is too small.  Disconnect the 2 pick up wires and connect you meter to the pick up side connectors.  As the engine is cranked, you will see the meter display numbers change rapidly. It's hard to get a read on the actual DC voltage because if this. But it will resemble a pulse. 

• Like 1