1200 into GSX750 Inazuma

Maybe another mk1 vs mk2 thing but these were different, 750 is the skinny one, mk2 B1200 is the fat one.

I assumed any difference meant I should leave the B12 on the B12, I have no idea how sensitive these things are - for instance the T mark is in line with the trailing edge of the 'leg' on the 750, vs the leading edge of the 'leg' on the B12. I took this to mean a slight difference in timing between the two (?) so left the original on there. Guess the other opposite argument is the 750 CDI works in sync with its normal rotor. Is it likely to make a noticeable difference?

52677446-E67E-4244-BCED-4CDF0029BD15.jpeg

EBA1AE89-56D6-4A41-8649-564CC74A56E5.jpeg

Edited by Shill
more info

Neutral switch was easy, timing pickup a little more fiddly. I'd say if you're happy doing the connector that's easier. Note the mk2 neutral switch has more wires than gsx (has a sensor to detect low gears as well as neutral?) so will need to find the right ones to join!

On the 750 airbox, I'm not sure tbh, what carbs? That might be awkward, the 1200 is tight in the zuma frame, it's slightly taller, if you're using 1200 carbs they're bigger but not sure sure how much by in terms of length, I imagine it might clash. Haven't tried it though!

I also found because of the extra height, my 750 headers hit the sump on the B12.

Edited by Shill

Had to cut the gsx exhaust off it was fused to the head. Just getting it stripped down ready to paint the rusty frame.

GSX carbs are 50mm inlet and B12 60mm so standard air box isn't going to be straightforward. The carbs are the same depth, just not sure what the final height difference at the carb inlet will be due to the angle and taller B12 motor. What I expect I will try initially is blanking off the GSX air box, then cutting new larger holes slightly higher and fitting the B12 boots. 

Also the main fuel line ID is 8mm on the GSX and 10mm on the Bandit. I think I will get the 8mm on to the carb with some gentle persuasion

Anyway, time to crack on and get throttle cables off

Just been painting this morning, frame was pretty rusty so it’s got the wire wheel and hammerite treatment. Engine needs a clean and paint next. 

Fazer fuel tap is only off/on I think? If it fits that’s great but I really quite like the back up of having a vacuum operated tap. Undecided on that one

Edited by cheese monkey

Engine is in! A few mates came over for the day and we got it done. Really not as bad as I remember.

Expanded original airbox holes out to match the B12 rubbers and it all fits together. Absolute pig to get the carbs in though.

Had some troubles with the throttle not returning and ended up breaking the crappy plastic throttle sleeve. So got a new one on order, I'm assuming a B6 one is the same or close enough?

Will pull the carbs out and cables are connected properly, the pull cable felt like it was running really badly, which is almost certainly why the throttle wasnt returning properly. Choke also got really stiff after muscling the carbs in, so will give that a look over. Not exactly keen on the idea of pulling the carbs out again, but needs must.

Still got lots to do on it, but no major hurdles now.

Good news, the airbox fits and even lines up with the original mounting points, with a little bit of muscling. Carbs are very easy to get in and out if you take the battery out so the airbox can move back 1.5cm. Choke was stiff and not returning because of poor cable run and the vacuum blanking bits fouling the choke slide on the carbs. Thats all sorted now. She turns over! No oil in it so only dabbed button to check the starter turns. Neutral switch swap worked too, forgot to check the oil sensor. Throttle tube broke because I'm an idiot and connected the cables the wrong way round.

Bad news, coils dont quite fit, they sit on the oil pipes pretty hard, I'm worried if I left them there they would break from the vibrations. So will have to stuff them under the tank somehow. There really isnt much space under there. B12 oil cooler will only line up with alot of effort on one mounting. Rear brake has decided to seize. Sump plug is leaking. All should be fairly easy fixes... Might be running tomorrow if the bits arrive... MOT Thursday...

Nice one dude! Good to hear it went together ok,. Need to wait and see about coils on mine, that was definitely the clash point trying to get it in, didn't notice the contact once fitted. Mine's going together this sunday. Good luck tomorrow!

Cheers. Maybe if the tank has to come off again I'll have another look at the coil mounting. For the time being they are between the frame rails under the tank. Broke one of the airbox covers when I was taking it off which was a shame. Was only going to paint it black anyway so no big loss. Post man didnt turn up today so still waiting on throttle tube and copper washer for sump plug, which means MOT will have to be postponed to next week. Rear brake was fine, but brake light switch was WAY out of adjustment, god knows how it passed MOTs last few years. Found the B12 fuel pipe was about 1cm too short and just too old, so put a new one on. Using the vacuum from no4 which is pretty tight too, another one to change next time the tanks off. Ran out of things to do so tidied the garage and started stripping the B12 for parts.

Good luck on Sunday!

Looks good there Fred! When I move I need to set up somewhere proper to work in, this is the state of my workspace at the mo :D

First stage every day is 'move all nonessential things out the front of the garage to make room to move around'

3CA283A0-5E59-4535-8C83-A3B8B4101E7C.jpeg