I'm looking at getting some s/hand barrels as my current ones have some scoring that I'm not sure just honing will cure. What 'W' years will fit with the 94 bottom end and pistons etc?

While I'm at it, if I tried honing the barrels will standard piston rings still suit or will I need to get larger rings?

And finally, best place/ price/ quality supplier to get rings from? ( Robinsons was going to be my first port of call, but I'm open to suggestions ).

Sorry, this is all new to me as I'm slowly stripping my engine further and delving into areas I've not been before ;)

It depends on whether the honing would take the bore diameter past the wear limit for std pistons and rings - they usually allow for a fair amount of wear but getting close to that limit usually means they slap and clonk around and want to be fixed ! Stock pistons = stock rings so Robinsons would be the choice!

I've got a factory manual but always worth a double check! Having spoken to Robinson's factory they said the WR is different spec to 93 WN/ WP models. I'm mostly concerned about some scoring inside one of the bores, compression is still within service limits but less than the other 3 cylinders. Problem is, having costed a re bore and oversize pistons/ rings to be around 500 odd quid that's out of my budget at the moment. I might just get a hone to clean the bore of any debris and live with the scoring until either second hand barrels come up or I can afford the re bore.

Thanks for that! I've decided to leave the barrels and piston's be at the moment though, I've had the head back from re conditioning and its nice and shiny :) . So I'm just going to take apart the bottom half of the engine, replace the broken cam guide then put the engine back together. Before I took it apart,  the compression test showed it was at 9 kg/m3 on cylinder 2, compared to 10 / 10.5 kg/m3 on the other 3 cylinders and the manual states the wear limit is at 8 kg/m3 or a 2 kg/m3 drop across two cylinders. As its under the wear limits I'm going to live with it for the moment until it either complains badly or I can find another set of WR barrels ( seem unobtainium at the moment :( ), if it complains badly then I'll have to look at total engine replacement ( found one complete on the Bay for 600 quid ) as the re bore/ new pistons cost is the same as the second hand engine.

here's the broken cam guide pics for you though .....

engine%20and%20matt%20tris%20board%20006

engine%20and%20matt%20tris%20board%20007