GSX 1100 Oil pressure switch.

ivorbiggin

How do they work?

Am i right in thinking that with the engine off, i should have continuity between the OPS terminal and earth, and with the engine running their should be no continuity between the terminal and earth, provided the required oil pressure is present.

I have tried 2 switches. When removed from the engine, one gives no continuity at all throughout the travel of the plunger, the second gives no continuity at either end of the plunger travel, but does somewhere in the middle, neither show any continuity when installed to the engine, with engine not running.

Both switches Buggered, or am i not looking at it right?

A good switch should show continuity between the tit on the top and the brass plate inside the case when removed from engine whether plunger is pushed or not. They are not sophisticated devices - no oil flow, brass disc touches engine case completes ground circuit, light illuminates - with oil flow pushing disc off cases, circuit broken, light goes out! They can get mucky so a soak in cleaner may help but there is no much else to go wrong!