shim kit

billyam998

Hello again, well the build is progressing slowly and, after getting the head repaired and, 1216 big bore, the top end is back together (almost) problem is that when I had the head repaired I also got SEP to regrind the valves and, new stem seals so, all the clearances have gone completely.

So, the question is, is there anyone in the Loughborough, leicester, Derby area that can lend me a shim kit so I can figure out what shims I need? (beer tokens for the hire obviously)  If no lends about, does  anyone have any recommendations for source of a kit?  - GSXR1100M  

19 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

If you measure the clearance with the shims you have you can then work out the thickness and quantity of shims you need ....and go from there..

err no you can't , not if you don't have any clearance to start with. That's my problem.  I've tried shuffling what shims I do have around using the smallest one available still too tight to measure a gap. so I need some thinner shims to get a start point. 

Then you'll have to sacrifice one and grind it thinner then measure with  a micrometer and work out gaps or purchase the thinnest shim from suzuki parts and do the calcs. The latter is what I did when I got a M head with no shims at all! If you use the grinder, obviously don't use that one - its scrap!