Advice on swapping yokes needed.

teapot

Im gonna replace the  yokes on my gsx600f with some from a 1996 zx6r ,  problems are stem is too short, lower  bearings have different id and od and bottoms of stems are totally different so switching stems is not possible ,  what my limited brain power has come up with is a cut and shut on stem to lengthen it and is it possible to get custom made bearings ?

Am i heading in the right direction ?

Yup the zx forks are 41mm  but upon fitting them ,then trying to fit wheel disc's are actually hitting fork legs as the T'pot yokes are much narrower , hence needing to fit zx yokes, 

The bottom of the T'pot stem is a good 10mm wider so dont know how to make that fit ?

I was intending to use the zx wheel to make life easier 

Edited by teapot

Could you machine down the disc mounting surfaces on the wheel to fit with the teapot  fork spacing?

I don't know if anyone has successfully cut and shut a stem before, but I think it would be difficult to keep the upper and lower bearing diameters concentric and parallel enough. Is the zxr stem steel? If it's aluminium it's likely to be 7000 series and might not weld well.

My first choice would be to bore out the yokes to fit the teapot stem, but 10mm over on diameter sounds like it would leave you with insufficient material around the hole. Might need a custom stem to make this one work...

1 hour ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

I've got a lathe and a press, if you want to send both yokes  over  here I'll have a look see if it's doable??:tu

All iv'e got is imagination and a selection of hammers , 

Im off work  for a few days over xmas so im gonna look at all ideas inc maybe using the gsx750f font wheel and swapping out the bearings to suit zx spindle , but then im sure im gonna have disc issues as zx are 300mm and t'pot's 290 + dont know what will happen to caliper spacing either .

But thats a very kind offer and i may well take you up on it (y)

gsx wheel inbetween zx forks in gsx yokes  and gsx forks in zx yokes 

20181223_154254.jpg

20181223_154305.jpg

Edited by teapot