Peculiar head problem to fix

Lachie04

Hey

So I have a few bits and pieces around so thought I would play around with building a 1052 six speed. Have acquired a few bits and a DOT head along the way.

Yep problem is wasn't really as described by trader "good condition" should have read *(&&%^*& stuffed really

First thing I noticed was OP had mangled the stiffener bracket between #2 & 3 cylinder bolts and cut off the washer type end OK I can work around that but then "big one"  was found one of the Brass tubes that carry the head cooler oil down to the top of #1 cylinder is completely missing ????? how do you even get these out ????

image.png.0d522f31bd8ee9c21559a4396461b566.png

So my only saving grace is I have another head which I will never be putting on another motor which I can butcher to get one of this Brass tubes.

Anyone ever had the pleasure of removing or replacing one of these tubes??

I have tentatively tried very softly to twist one out of my spare head but seems very tightly wedged I imagine they are pressed in perhaps heating the head could loosen it???

Any (helpful LOL) ideas would appreciated

Edited by Lachie04

I've had several brass tubes falling out on their own, when turning the head upside down. On other heads, they've been stuck like crazy. I guess the tolerances on the machining and/or brass tube bulge varies quite a bit. Heat and som mild force and you'll be fine.

Edited by Nik
5 hours ago, dupersunc said:

They aren't very tight. A bit of heat, soft grips and a bit of patients.

4 hours ago, Nik said:

I've had several brass tubes falling out on their own, when turning the head upside down. On other heads, they've been stuck like crazy. I guess the tolerances on the machining and/or brass tube bulge varies quite a bit. Heat and som mild force and you'll be fine.

Cheers for that gives me hope I was thinking this would be a dead thread.

Ok out with the heat torch I go