2018 Donnington Classic Endurance

Mole28

You know what,I sat down in the stand with my lad just moments before seeing this bike go past with smoke coming from within and I immediately thought  'oh dear,he will not make it much further if he doesn't see the smoke for himself'...then seconds after he rode out of sight the red flags came out.....I didn't know it was FBOB until later...Get well soon mate and well done all those involved in getting a bike for the track...Lets face it,even some big names didn't make it to the finish either!!!

• Like 1

Free practice and qually were a fucking nightmare. The Harris was  playing silly buggers and I only got 1lap in practice. Gordy and Angus did 4 or5 each. New ignition module and coils didn't fix it so another set of carbs and it was  better but I didn't get to try it until the morning warm up. Qually was worse. The Harris was in bits so I had to go out on the spare bike. I did a warm up lap and then nearly got put off the track in lap 2. On lap 3 the motor dropped a valve. I did a 1:30. Gordy went out on the Harris before the carb swap. He coughed round and did the same time as me. Angus qualified 9 seconds quicker than us which brought our average time up to get us 36th on the grid. It could only get better. Maybe.

It was a trying day. When changing the back tyre first thing, Don noticed it had spun a bearing in the astralite hub. Much cursing, swearing and filing later it was sorted with 3 minutes to spare from getting a penalty for not doing the sighting lap.  I did the Le Mans start. Made up about a dozen places by the first corner. Settled into a rhythm but got black flagged after 20 minutes with oil pouring out of the engine. I pulled off into the infield and got back through a pedestrian tunnel fairly quickly. The sump gasket had failed. Don got it fixed, refuelled and out again in 15 minutes. Unfortunately the team manager turned the fuel off and didn't tell anyone. Gordy got half a lap and the bike died. It was the furthest away part of the circuit and although he sussed that the tap was off, he wasn't allowed to rejoin. He was recovered back to the pit but we lost 35 minutes because of it. From there on it was head down flat chat to the finish. We lost about 25 laps but did a total of 130. We finished 31st out of 60 on the timing sheet. Because we didn't do the 134 laps required, which was 75 percent of the winners total, we weren't classified as finishing. We don't care though. We made it to the end, the team are elated and we're going to do it again.

• Like 11

Viz, sorry for talking shite to you for hours on Saturday night. I was having a bad day and maybe a little bit drunk. Lovely to meet you all and thanks again for sorting us out with an alternator for the T bike. I'll get one to Scott for return. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Mole28 said:

Viz, sorry for talking shite to you for hours on Saturday night. I was having a bad day and maybe a little bit drunk. Lovely to meet you all and thanks again for sorting us out with an alternator for the T bike. I'll get one to Scott for return. 

i'm glad we're both cunts marco-moleo' (y)

Racing ... it really is a roller coaster ride of highs and lows, expense and achievement. Well done for getting your arse out on track in a competitive situation ... I so miss all the banter, camaraderie, and sense of achievement. I don't miss the dislocations, broken bones, concussion and expense. 

GWS

Edited by Solcambs
  • Like 2