I just spotted an advert on that site for a mechanical speedo drive for the '97 TL1000S. ISTR the TL1000 I had, back in the day, had a digital speedo with a sensor pickup arrangement? Did the early TL's have a mechanical speedo? This could solve me an issue on my Katana with bandit wheels, and TLS forks. I had assumed I could use a bandit or GSXR750 drive ... but of course the spindle diameter is too large. Before I start measuring the GSXR750 drive and deciding whether I can take it out to the TL1000 spindle, can anyone confirm whether there was TL1000s mechanical drive?

I was looking last night. There is possibly space - and there's just enough meat to turn down the bandit one. But it rotates the opposit direction to the Kat - so I'd need to turn the wheel around (or maybe I have the wheels in backwards already!!  I shall go look at some Internet photos and see if I can work it out. 

If that that doesn't work - Mito or Ducati one will be ordered if I can confirm threads for the cable can fit. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:22 PM, Gammaboy said:

Want me to try my slabby speedo cable in my Mito drive? Will confirm cable directions too, they're both left side mount.

Right ... I reckon looking at it, the Mito one might do. It's correct sizing - could you have a look to see if the Suzuki cable will mate. The mito one looks unfeasibly short base don Eblag pictures!! If you could measure the width so I can take a look at my spacers and what needs changing that would also be helpful.

Edited by Solcambs
11 hours ago, Gammaboy said:

OK, Suzuki cable won't mate, the Mito one is square cable at each end. It's spacer thickness is 30.2mm.

So back to either the ducati one, drill out the bandit one, or find a cable that would mate the mito drive to the Katina clocks! Cheers for taking a look - much appreciated.

Edited by Solcambs

I had a mechanical drive on a set of Astralites in a Busa front end...

I drilled 2 x 3mm holes in the wheel hub opposite one another around the bearing seat and drifted in two pieces of steel to drive the speedo... Think I cut down an Allen key if recall... Worked a treat !

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:18 PM, Matt-Man said:

I had a mechanical drive on a set of Astralites in a Busa front end...

I drilled 2 x 3mm holes in the wheel hub opposite one another around the bearing seat and drifted in two pieces of steel to drive the speedo... Think I cut down an Allen key if recall... Worked a treat !

I've been trying to get my head around what you mean? Pictures?

Came across a list of bikes with 25mm

Front Axle Diameters

25mm
Kawasaki ZX750 ZX-7, ZX-7R, ZX-7RR 91-96, ZX900 B ZX-9R 94-97,
ZX1100 D ZX-11 93-97, Suzuki GSX-R750 96-97, TL1000 S 97.
GSX-R600 97

Not exactly helpful ... but gives me more to go at!

Edited by Solcambs

I think the Ducati one will be the same part as the Mito - Having a lathe, I'd just bore the bandit one (Are you sure it spins the wrong way? if so, have a look at a Kawa one?), or get a custom cable made.

On 26/04/2017 at 11:03 PM, Solcambs said:

I've been trying to get my head around what you mean? Pictures?

On a wheel with no speedo drive provision, he installed a pair of steel pegs to engage the drive.

Edited by Gammaboy
11 hours ago, Gammaboy said:

I think the Ducati one will be the same part as the Mito - Having a lathe, I'd just bore the bandit one (Are you sure it spins the wrong way? if so, have a look at a Kawa one?), or get a custom cable made.

On a wheel with no speedo drive provision, he installed a pair of steel pegs to engage the drive.

Ahhh ... I get it.

I've done a lot of looking. The drives are slightly different across manufactruers on how they pick up the rotation of the wheel.

Looks like I built the front wheel up back to front ... the bandit wheel can rotate either way ... so it's a simple case of swopping round. the drive will be on the left siode of the bike then, and rotate the correct way :o) So - I should be able to get the centre machined out on the bandit one to 25mm.

I wandered down to Cambridge Motorcycles, and appreciate that Spike took time out from a busy day to help turn down the Bandit Speedo drive. As usual he kept patient as I said, "should be a quick 5 minute job" and realised that nothing is actually ever that simple. The Bandit drive takes (just) a 25mm bore, but it's a weird shape to hold in the lathe ....  as I should never be let anywhere near a lathe - it always ends in misery - Spike (resident machining genius at Cambridge Motorcycles) needed to make up a collet to hold the bandit speedo drive in the lathe - but relatively simple case of finding some appropriate tubing, adjusting the inner diameter to take the drive and cutting three slots into it. Then placing the collet in the lathe with the chuck biting on the collet and the speedo drive held by the collet. Given the amount of powdering of the inner tube of the speedo drive we reckon it was cast! Anyhow ... 6 passes of the lathe and we have a 25mm bore on the speedo drive.

I've test fitted the drive to the TL1000/bandit front end and Spike got the inside diameter spot on. All I need is to adjust the wider part of the TL1000 spindle by a few mm and the speedo drive will replace the spacer I am using currently. So I'll wander down again in the near future and get the spindle integral spacer machined back a little to make space. Job will be a gud'un!

Edited by Solcambs
  • Like 2