85 GSXR rebuild

darkness

So how late model can you go with the rear?

I'm looking at a wrecked 2008 gsxr750 for parts (at least the front end). provided the price is right. 

Also UPDATE:

The frame has come back from the welders, so it's all sorted. As I was cleaning it, I found some cracks under the front end. And also one of the rear engine mounts had snapped off. Next step is dismantling the engine for a bit of a refresher. Something to note, the previous owner did some work on the engine, and it's already oversized with high comp pistons. 

Edited by darkness
update
  • 10 months later...

So yeah it's been a while since this project had been worked on. I did some research and took everyone's advice. And started collecting the parts needed for the build. 

First up was the front end. Ended up getting a 2008 gsxr1000 set, freshly rebuilt, from a wrecker. Now initially the fit looked good, but we discovered that the original stem was just a bit too small to be pressed into the late model tree. Fortunately I had a smart person helping who CAD'd up a new stem. And another that could machine it for a crate of beer. 

Next was the rear. I was able to  source a BJX wheel and parts (which is I think a late 90s set?). That seems to be able to bolt right in. We are just in the midst of checking spacer widths to make sure it's aligned. 

2017-09-17_13_07_19.jpg

2017-12-10_15_57_15.jpg

Now on the engine side of things. Have been tearing it down to replace the bearing and check tolerances. Something to note about it already is that it's been overbored, and has a set of Wiseco r771 high compression pistons in it (which did get used much before I got it). Everything looks pretty tidy, so I think it'll just be a case of replacing bearings and making sure it's clean. 

2017-09-17_13_06_53.jpg

2017-09-17_13_06_58.jpg

2017-12-10_15_57_23.jpg