Modifying oil pressure relief valves

TiZiK

First off, GREAT to see the site back in all its former glory and then some!  Thanks for all the hard work from those involved.

So, I probably should have posted this a night ago before I spent a wad on 2 relief valves already modified for higher pressure.

Question is, how does one go about modifying them for higher pressure?  I know that you shim them but I had a good look (and a little pry) at a stock one and it seem that they don't come apart easy.  And if I did manage to get it apart, I couldn't see a way of re-assembling without machine work.

Anyone ever done their own?

Because racebike?   :D

Just from what I've found in various articles and threads etc, it helps when you are using stiffer valve springs, higher lift cams etc to decrease the wear on the rockers and cam lobes.  Also, if running high boost (which I plan on doing), higher pressure through the bearings can help save them when you introduce much higher cylinder pressures.

I dont know, makes sense to me.  Extra insurance.  

But thats besides the point... was wondering if anyone has modified their own.

From the listing from which I purchased.

THIS MODIFIED HIGH PRESSURE OIL RELIEF VALVE IS FOR 1986-1992 GSXR1100 OIL PUMP, AND WILL INCREASE
YOUR OIL PRESSURE BY ABOUT 30%, PROVIDING MORE OIL PRESSURE TO YOUR ROD & MAIN BEARINGS, CAM
& ROCKER ARMS, AND OIL COOLER. ALSO MOVES MORE OIL THROUGH YOUR OIL FILTER FOR A CLEANER RUNNING
MOTOR. I HAVE BEEN MAKING THESE VALVES FOR 23 YEARS AND THEY WORK GREAT ! ALL THE NEW BIKES BUY
HIGHER OIL PRESSURE VALVES AND YOU SHOULD TOO ! CHECK OUT MY OTHER LISTINGS, I ALSO MODIFY A HIGH
PRESSURE OIL VALVE FOR THE OIL PAN, FOR ANOTHER 30% INCREASE IN OIL PRESSURE. I USE ONE ON THE OIL
PUMP FOR STREET USE AND TWO VALVES FOR RACING. IF YOU USE TWO VALVES IN THE MOTOR WITH 10-30 MOTOR OIL,
SHOULD IDLE AT ABOUT 120 PSI OF OIL PRESSURE, IT MAY VARY DEPENDING ON THE CONDITION OF YOUR OIL PUMP,
AND YOU HAVE TO WARM UP THE MOTOR ONCE IN THE MORNING, AND THEN YOUR GOOD FOR THE WHOLE DAY.
ONE PIC IS OF MY VALVE INSTALLED, OIL PUMP NOT FOR SALE. ALL THE MOTORS I BUILT THAT I USED THESE VALVES IN,
NEVER SPUN A ROD BEARING 
Edited by TiZiK

That's amusing - flowing more oil to parts that are not relieved to cope will increase oil pressure in the galleries - it won't make diddly squat difference to actual bearing oil pressure! If you are opening up bearing running clearances then i'd agree that increased flow would be beneficial to get back to std. running pressures but conversely loose clearances are not really to be advised - race or not. So it is 'solving' a problem that doesn't exist. I'm sure Suzuki never modified their oil systems in the factory racebikes other than additional cooling.......that says a lot IMO!

Why would you need 120psi oil pressure at idle - there is little or no load on anything! Saying that he's never spun a rod bearing isn't really convincing - i've never spun one either in any of my stock oil pumped / pressured engines, one of which runs 2 bar boost and 370hp!

• Like 3