Rear brake torque arm mounting

Bowler

Hi all,

I'm building a slabby 1100 rear wheel in my 1100ET and I'm trying to use the brake torque arm from a 1990 GSXR.

From all the exploded views I've found I can't see how to mount this arm to the frame. Does anyone here have a picture of it? Or could anyone explain how  I need to attach it to my frame (e.g. do I need a U-bracket or is a single bolt enough)

Thanks in advance 

Timon

54 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

On a slingshot frame there's a kind of counterbored hole in the frame. A single bolt will be enough as that's used as standard.  A pic tells a thousand words.;)

sling arm.jpg

Ok,thanks! Hopefully there is someone with a picture of the other side of the frame, than I can design a bracket. 

44 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

Another option for you is to have a small bracket welded under the arm and use a shorter torque arm. That way there's no nasty looking mods to the ET frame. Food for though anyway. ;)

$_57.JPG

The only problem then is that I need to find someone who can weld my swingarm, which is possible, but more difficult than welding steel ;)

29 minutes ago, Bowler said:

Hopefully there is someone with a picture of the other side of the frame, than I can design a bracket. 

It just so happens I have a slingshot frame I've modded for a single sider standing in the hall. :D The raised boss is 10-12mm (frames angled here) Hope this helps. 

boss positions.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jaydee said:

It just so happens I have a slingshot frame I've modded for a single sider standing in the hall. :D The raised boss is 10-12mm (frames angled here) Hope this helps. 

boss positions.jpg

Awesome, that was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks :)

On 31-5-2016 at 4:02 PM, Jaydee said:

boss positions.jpg

Did you perhaps also measured the diameter of the boss? :)

On 10-6-2016 at 4:46 PM, canamant said:

If you can, anchor the torque arm to the frame as it will be floating and will help squat the back end.  The caliper carrier bracket really needs to be mounted on a bearing to work properly though.

On 11-6-2016 at 0:07 PM, markfoggy said:

With respect, that is totally irrelevant and the sort of pointless development curve that was deemed important before we had Radial front tyres. 

Stop the brake hanger from rotating by the lightest and shortest route possible.

I hope to combine these two, the GSX frame has a mounting point for the rear brake that I won't be using anymore. A mate is going to turn a cilinder with the right proportions, to which the (probably original slingshot) torque arm will mount. I have the rear brake + bracket of a slabby, so there's already a bearing :)