gsxr750 micron system

well after having the accident last year noticed a slight blow from the collector well it had a nice crack so i sourced a replacement exhaust system and decided to just swap over the collectors as its just held in place by springs. 1 & 4 bolts came out easily but 2 & 3 were 13mm head bolts when they were put in but time and rust had munched them down to about 10 0r 11mm thus i had 3 snapped bolts in the head a good mate has now got the bike at his place and it looks like its going to be a drill and tap job as even with welding new nuts onto the exposed thread isnt working also it looks like the micron system are not completely stainless it looks like they have mild steel pressed into the end of the stainless downpipes check out the piccy  

exhaust.JPG

Since having the same issue with my bandit many moons ago I have taken to replacing header bolts as a matter of course. When you do get the damn things out screw a nut onto a bolt which is decently long and replace the bolt into the engine with loctite. From there cut off the bolt head and unscrew the nut to recover the threads. The nut will now act as the securing part rather than the bolt head as before.

You'll likely need to use deep reach sockets from now on with this method to remove your headers depending on how long you keep your bolts, but it does mean if you ever have rotten header bolts etc again the only thing that needs to receive brute force and ignorance is a nut rather than dicking about with the engine.

Perhaps this is a well known and obvious answer to many but it saved my ass a few years back. I had 4 snapped header bolts on my bandit and ended up getting a chum to weld a socket to each bolt before they would come out.