Good Day All,

Firstly thanks for all the help thus far.

I got my newly bought GS850 started today, runs pretty smoothly on all 4, which is great, BUT, there is a serious amount of clatter coming from the top end.

I suspect that the cam chain needs adjusting, and need help please regarding the procedure to be followed to do this. Please I am very concerned about jumping a tooth or something similar. (The bike stood for a very long time before I got it). I probably need to remove the tensioner and clean it.

This whole timing thing and the possibilty of hitting valves is quite scary to me.:o

Thanks in advance

The cam chain tensioner are automatic but they do stick.

It's just two bolts to remove the tensioner you won't change the timing by removing the tensioner as long as you don't turn the engine over when it's out.

One of the best things to do when you get one of these bikes, is get a manual and there is a site you can download them free but I don't know what the site is but someone will be alone to tell you ;)

Hope this is of help ( not being a dick head xD:D)

• Like 3

Thanks Wraith, for the info. I do have a manual, but always prefer  taking advice from real world experts with hands on experience. Always great to have a chat as well. Do these tensioners actually fail completely, or can they be cleaned out and 'serviced'?

The cost of a new tensioner, in South Africa, would be the end of the road for this bike.

Thanks a lot.

They can be cleaned out, they just stick at times.

The only thing you need to change is the gasket but with the age of the bike you could always see if they still do the internal spring and replace that, as it maybe getting a bit slack but I've never replaced one ;)

Thanks. Sounds like it's sorted. Motor is running pretty quietly now. But please read below. Merely for info.

Funny thing happened. I started the bike with the normal terrible rattle. Looked down at the thumb adjuster on the right hand side and saw it was moving around, so I wanted to see if it moved. It did, so i turned it slowly clockwise, and the rattling immediately disappeared. Not even quarter of a turn. I was quite surprised and expected to find the locknut on the left side loose, but it was tight. Then the rattle came back. I redid the thumb adjuster till quiet, then went back to the left side. Loosened the 12mm locknut, tightened the center screw, and then the locknut again. Ran the bike for about 30 mins and there is still no rattle. All of this while the motor was idling.

Lucky or what? Please I would welcome any comments, because after all the homework I've done... I've not seen this.

2 hours ago, Gacataki said:

Thanks. Sounds like it's sorted. Motor is running pretty quietly now. But please read below. Merely for info.

Funny thing happened. I started the bike with the normal terrible rattle. Looked down at the thumb adjuster on the right hand side and saw it was moving around, so I wanted to see if it moved. It did, so i turned it slowly clockwise, and the rattling immediately disappeared. Not even quarter of a turn. I was quite surprised and expected to find the locknut on the left side loose, but it was tight. Then the rattle came back. I redid the thumb adjuster till quiet, then went back to the left side. Loosened the 12mm locknut, tightened the center screw, and then the locknut again. Ran the bike for about 30 mins and there is still no rattle. All of this while the motor was idling.

Lucky or what? Please I would welcome any comments, because after all the homework I've done... I've not seen this.

yeah thats the old style tensioner, but you've sorted it. :tu

21 hours ago, Gacataki said:

That is incorrect. The set screw needs to be loose, so the tensioner arm can move and press on the cam chain slipper.

It sounds like the camchain tensioner needs to be serviced, which is quite easy. Go here, and look around for the tutorial on the tensioner.

GSarchive.bwringer.com

44 minutes ago, BigT said:

That is incorrect. The set screw needs to be loose, so the tensioner arm can move and press on the cam chain slipper.

It sounds like the camchain tensioner needs to be serviced, which is quite easy. Go here, and look around for the tutorial on the tensioner.

GSarchive.bwringer.com

yep that is true, but if you have a worn or week tensioner then the lock screw will hold it and tide you over till its fixed :D