Mkii clutch, gear and startup problems.

Hi again!

Thought I should start a new thread as the last one was solved and not really related to this one. I have just bought a 2000 gsf 600 that was fine on the ride home but has since developed some annoying problems that I cant figure out as a new owner. Am hoping some of the more experienced here might help set me right before I cave and take it to the garage.

So problem 1 is the struggle to start it. Battery is fine I think as it's reading over 12v, and have tried with another known working one and both start up laboriously. It's charging when running and reads 14v or something.

Problem 2 is the lurch when dropping it in to 1st when starting off a journey. This sometimes stalls the bike, sometimes not. I've heard a lurchy 1st was common at least.

Problem 3 is that after taking it out for a short ride I dropped it back into 1st at a junction and it stalled again as soon as I pressed it.

After that the bike refused to start and had to push it home.

Some relevant info maybe: Prior to this I found the clutch lever was a bit tight and have since adjusted it a bit to have a few mm of free play. The problem was there with both clutch settings.

I'm no expert but I'm comfortable with tools and a Haynes manual, but I'm very new to this bike which has been brilliant fun when it's not being a total pain in the arse. :D

Its a 24 yr old bike so some problems are to be expected! What is the mileage and is it verified? How much do you trust the seller not to screw you over? Has it got or do you know of any service history? A through service with a 'new to you' bike is never a bad idea, so at least you know, it 'should be' running right!

P1 - is oil level correct and is oil viscosity correct? Not unknown to over fill an engine with thicker oil to cover up a mechanically noisy one or noisy gearbox / clutch! Thicker oil won't help easy starting. Starter motor could be getting lazy / worn brushes - fairly easy work to clean or check.

P2 - Idle rpm? Is it around 11-1200 rpm? Too low and the gear engagement lurch is magnified. Are carbs working correctly - idle stalls could be symptomatic!

P3 - Clutch issues are 'usually' non std. fibre plates, incorrect oil (usually a fully synthetic but not always) warped steel plates, notchy hub / basket splines, incorrect adjustment through ignorance or to cover up a fault.

one common problem with bandits is theirs a thin black wire coming off the main thick black earth lead from the battery,  it normally lives behind the right seat panel close to the battery, their is a spade connection and they tend to corrode over time, if it has a bad connection it can cause all kinds of problems and also when the neutral light goes out (putting it into gear) the engine will cut out.   

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll look into those suggestions.

On 6/16/2024 at 6:34 PM, TonyGee said:

one common problem with bandits is theirs a thin black wire coming off the main thick black earth lead from the battery,  it normally lives behind the right seat panel close to the battery, their is a spade connection and they tend to corrode over time, if it has a bad connection it can cause all kinds of problems and also when the neutral light goes out (putting it into gear) the engine will cut out.   

This is an interesting one, thanks Tony. I know the thick loom that you are referring too but not sure where/what this thinner wire and connector is attached too. Can you be more specific?

Cheers.

Edited by jellybeans
37 minutes ago, jellybeans said:

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll look into those suggestions.

This is an interesting one, thanks Tony. I know the thick loom that you are referring too but not sure where/what this thinner wire and connector is attached too. Can you be more specific?

Cheers.

simple, just follow the black earth lead from the battery terminal down and you will find a smaller wire coming off it, the smaller wire will have a spade connector on it, you can't miss it. :tu

22 hours ago, TonyGee said:

simple, just follow the black earth lead from the battery terminal down and you will find a smaller wire coming off it, the smaller wire will have a spade connector on it, you can't miss it. :tu

I'm assuming I found that one as it was indeed corroded to hell. I took some wet n dry to that one and any others in the rear that I could access too.

Tomorrow I'll do all the front connectors too and then take it round the block to see if it's better.

• Like 1