Newbie with a GS1000 project. lots of info needed

On 4/27/2024 at 4:34 AM, Reinhoud said:

I've got GSXR1000 wheels, and a front fork of a GSXR600 in mine, 2006 iirc, and a rear fork of a Bandit, yes it makes a difference.

Go for the newest wheels you can find, big chance they're lighter then wheels of older models.

What you mentioned what you had in your engine, I've got about that in mine ;) I also have stronger rods (493) 

1000.jpg

I wish I could find my pictures. I have lost the envelope with all the bike pictures in. 

That looks like a beast. What kind of power is it putting out at the back wheel?

I've decided to just adda gs1000s fairing, sort the carbs and ride it for the summer or until next summer. I'm finding it too much fun

5 hours ago, andyroach said:

I wish I could find my pictures. I have lost the envelope with all the bike pictures in. 

That looks like a beast. What kind of power is it putting out at the back wheel?

I've decided to just adda gs1000s fairing, sort the carbs and ride it for the summer or until next summer. I'm finding it too much fun

It hasn't got a lot of power, don't think it gets to 180hp, but it's not slow either.

Previously I had a TD04 turbo on it, that one was making proper power at about 4500rpm. Front wheel came up a little bit from110km/h in 4th gear.

Now I've got a VF23 on it, this turbo doesn't kick in, just the more revs the more power, now I need to do 160 km/h in 4th gear before the front wheel comes up. Just to give an idea.

The only reason I went for the VF23 is, is because it has ball bearings. Plain bearing turbo's won't last long for some reason.

Haven't riden it much lately, need to do some fine tuning, with the VF it doesn't detonate anymore, so I want to find the limit again, advance the ignition and stuff like that, to get a little bit more power out of it.

8 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

It hasn't got a lot of power, don't think it gets to 180hp, but it's not slow either.

Previously I had a TD04 turbo on it, that one was making proper power at about 4500rpm. Front wheel came up a little bit from110km/h in 4th gear.

Now I've got a VF23 on it, this turbo doesn't kick in, just the more revs the more power, now I need to do 160 km/h in 4th gear before the front wheel comes up. Just to give an idea.

The only reason I went for the VF23 is, is because it has ball bearings. Plain bearing turbo's won't last long for some reason.

Haven't riden it much lately, need to do some fine tuning, with the VF it doesn't detonate anymore, so I want to find the limit again, advance the ignition and stuff like that, to get a little bit more power out of it.

I've always found that once you start doing serious tuning on a bike you will never be bored. There's always something else to do, check, modify, etc.

I'm not going down the serious tuning route. At the moment I'd be happy with it running right. It's doing about 18MPG, which is probably down to the needle jets leaking (New ones have arrived about 10 minutes ago). I'm just about to go into the workshop now to fit the airbox, needle jets, clean the carbs again, drop the jetting, fit the GS1000s fairing and take some of the preload off the shocks as it is kicking off bumps in corners. 

Once I get it running right, I'll be making some luggage for it so I can do some touring. Got a lot of places I'm going to be visiting now I've dropped down to working 3 days a week . There are some advantages to getting old, but not many

• Like 1
4 hours ago, andyroach said:

I've always found that once you start doing serious tuning on a bike you will never be bored. There's always something else to do, check, modify, etc.

I'm not going down the serious tuning route. At the moment I'd be happy with it running right. It's doing about 18MPG, which is probably down to the needle jets leaking (New ones have arrived about 10 minutes ago). I'm just about to go into the workshop now to fit the airbox, needle jets, clean the carbs again, drop the jetting, fit the GS1000s fairing and take some of the preload off the shocks as it is kicking off bumps in corners. 

Once I get it running right, I'll be making some luggage for it so I can do some touring. Got a lot of places I'm going to be visiting now I've dropped down to working 3 days a week . There are some advantages to getting old, but not many

Big bore with a higher CR, other cams and a set of Mikuni RS carbs are a nice upgrade.

The GS1000 responds very nice on porting of the head too, gives it a nice flat torque curve.

1 hour ago, Reinhoud said:

Big bore with a higher CR, other cams and a set of Mikuni RS carbs are a nice upgrade.

The GS1000 responds very nice on porting of the head too, gives it a nice flat torque curve.

The big bore, gas flow and a slightly bigger set of carbs is on the list, but I can't see me going all out like last time. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the for sale/wanted ad's on this forum, but I suspect my wife doesn't agree. 

OK, I have a jetting question.

The carbs have been running the horrible cone filters and running 115 main jets. Standard fitment (according to the factory manual) is 95. It has a pretty free flowing exhaust, but does anyone else think 115 is a little excessive?

I've just fitted the standard airbox and dropped it to 105. I've just balanced the carbs, but ran out of time to take it for a spin on a fast road to check the jetting.

I do intend putting it on a dyno to set them up at some point, but I'd like to change the exhaust first.

Carbs are a bit of a black art and whilst I've done quite a few in my life, I've never done it consecutively. It's always been one every few years or at most a few a year and being equiped with the memory of a goldfish, it always feels like I'm starting from scratch. So please, any input is welcome.

Usually start with about 30% bigger jets, and go from there.

Best thing is, is get yourself an AFR sensor with gauge, it takes the guesswork out. Sometimes too lean or too rich have somewhat the same symptoms.