1997 Bandit 1200 electrical problems

6 hours ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

so has this bike run with that specifice igntion siwtch ever??????O.o

Yes the bike ran about a year ago with the original ignition switch, I was dialing in the carbs when it just wouldn't start again, found it had no spark and Ive been looking for the problem ever since. I do remember the spark being very weak before working on the carbs. 

1st thing id check is the secondary earth plug for the loom, small spade connector just after main earth connection near the batery, if thats unplugged or badly corroded it wont fire...

Ive checked and rechecked this as well as the continuity of all the associated Black/white neutral lines it connects to.

2nd is do a volt drop check on the battery, if the battery voltage goes much below 10/11 volts when cranking then the cdi wont spark anyway, had this a couople of times with b12's with batteries that wont hold a full charge, they look fine static at 13 or more volts, but when truning the motor over it drops right down..

Im using a car battery while testing, plenty of cranking power

I'm going to take apart the ignition switch and look for and test the resistor today. 

• Like 2

Ugh no luck, found the resistor it reads 99.2 ohms, also tested from the resistor end to the black/white end at the connector on the wireloom also 99 ohms. At this point, I'm going to put it all back together and try another CDI, I don't know what else it could be at this point.

Can I mail anyone my old CDI's to check on there bike?  

Have you tried another loom had the same many years back and it was the loom section by the headstock fine reading when ignition was OFF then once under load of ignition ON a wire broke down by headstock

Bandit ran fine home after buying it then next day wouldn't start done everything I could found out loom :tu

Might be worth a try? 

Edited by MrKris
  • 2 weeks later...