Yoshi heat shield

Guest YoshiJohnny

27 minutes ago, markfoggy said:

^ Oil cooler will cope with this easily, plus you've got a lot of airflow around the engine.

Trick with the heat shield is it's actually stabilising Cooler air around the inlets. Sure, not like a full airbox, which can be optimised for maximum fresh, cool air arriving with laminar flow, in this configuration there's bound to be a lot of turbulance, but carbs respond well to cool air that's not running away in the opposite direction to which they're trying to suck.

More importantly it's a handy shelf for you to put down a spanner when you're working on another area of the bike. That's always cool, until you forget it's there. :ph34r:

I've often wondered why carbs were'nt forward facing on bikes to get max air flow? Or is too much too good?

Guest YoshiJohnny
2 hours ago, Bandit31 said:

Will the heat shield not deflect heat back towards the engine, hence making it hotter? Is this a good thing?

that's what the fairing vents are for, they direct hot air away from the motor out to the sides...

Edited by YoshiJohnny
10 hours ago, Bandit31 said:

I've often wondered why carbs were'nt forward facing on bikes to get max air flow? Or is too much too good?

That's what Suzuki's Ram Air Direct ( SRAD) was designed to do. Charging the air-box/ plenum increases air density which improves performance.

It always amazes me the difference in performance I get from my 1230 EFE powered Katana on a spring morning when its around 10 degrees and bright and dry. The lower temperature  means the  air  density is much higher. It's positively chewy. The bike runs so well like it it's just been tuned. As the temperature rises later in the day there is relative marked dip in performance as the air becomes warmer and less dense.  No sensors or fuel sniffing on these old girls it's a one size fits all set up. Those cold bright mornings are the optimum though.

Of coarse you can always cut to the chase and simply charge the air-box properly with a turbo:D

• Like 1

I don't think that making the carburators cooler is the main goal of the heatshield. 

I think that keeping the carburators a more consistant temperature, is the biggest benefit. When riding slow, theres less cooling so the temperature of the caburators will increase fast, when riding fast theres more cooling but the temperature of the carburators won't decrease very fast because they will be around hot air of the already hot engine. So a lot of variables in the af ratio.

A two stroke is very sensitive on the inlet temperature. You can get some extra horses and easily kill some horses just by the inlet (environment) temperature. A four stroke is less sensitive but is does matter.

So if you could make the variables in the af ratio smaller, you should reach less loss in horsepower over all (think when you race on the track, fast part, slow parts).

1 hour ago, Quist said:

I don't think that making the carburators cooler is the main goal of the heatshield. 

I think that keeping the carburators a more consistant temperature, is the biggest benefit. When riding slow, theres less cooling so the temperature of the caburators will increase fast, when riding fast theres more cooling but the temperature of the carburators won't decrease very fast because they will be around hot air of the already hot engine. So a lot of variables in the af ratio.

A two stroke is very sensitive on the inlet temperature. You can get some extra horses and easily kill some horses just by the inlet (environment) temperature. A four stroke is less sensitive but is does matter.

So if you could make the variables in the af ratio smaller, you should reach less loss in horsepower over all (think when you race on the track, fast part, slow parts).

Like going round a race track.... fast?  Not really beneficial for road use? 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...