Trying to work out what I have here.

G'Day,

Been a while. 

Have been sourcing parts and pulling everything apart at the moment to make the new loom and a few things puzzle me with how this has been wired and plumbed.

I enrolled in the high performance academy so I don't have to ask so many questions, it helps with my job too and I can claim it on my tax. It obviously hasn't helped enough yet. :banana:

There is a momentary push button on the left hand bar which activates the boost solenoid. The fuel only KMS ECU doesn't have boost control. The way the solenoid has been plumbed is in the following diagram. Line from solendoid top of wastegate is normally closed, when the solenoid is energised it links plenum chamber pressure with the top of the wastegate, plenum pressure normal vents - normally open- to the vent as it is a 3 port solenoid. 

When I push the button at idle the bike stops.

The bike was to go back and be mapped once the MAP sensor issue was fixed, I fixed that but I am confused about how two stage boost works as that what I was told it was going to be mapped for. It has an inline switch in the diagram, its apparenty an air tool regulator, with that off I figure it work on spring pressure, with it on then the boost solenoid can work.

Before i change all of this I wanted to get an idea of how it was set up. I think I've been overthinking it.

I think I've worked it out whist writing this, the dual stage is the bar switch which lets you override spring pressure in the wastegate at the push of a button. That's where the second stage comes in. Am I correct?

I wasn't thining out of the box as I am used to thinking an ECU controls the boost solenoid.

What are bikes like this to ride when you just hit a button to go completely hectic with the boost?

image.thumb.jpeg.8054119e9020dbb1c6cfbca7c3a8760c.jpeg

Edited by BoostedRooster712
Fixed diagram - solenoid pumbing was wrong.

I think your boost control is supposed to work in following way:

When you don't press the button the wastegate works just normal way. On top of the gate there is just atmospheric pressure and the boost is controlled by the spring alone. When you press the button the solenoid activates and lets part of the boost pressure to top of the gate. Gate top pressure pushes the valve close so effectively it adds up on top of the spring pressure. I assume that "manual on/off solenoid" in the diagram is an adjustable pressure regulator? So with that you can adjust how much pressure will be feed on top of the gate and how much boost will increase with the button.

Btw, the electronic solenoid seems to be plumbed wrong way around in the diagram. I assume ports 1 and 2 should be swapped. Now it won't release pressure from top of the gate when you release the button.

Thanks Arttu,

I fixed the diagram and replaced it with the correct plumbing, thanks for pointing that out. I had it arse about in my head & in the picture but the bike was right. That was the part I was confused about with the plenum constantly open to atmosphere.

I was told the manual on/off solenoid was an air tool regulator by the Zuckerberg hivemind.

I can't see where it is adjustable unless I pull it apart. I've removed it and I'm not going to use it anyway so it doesn't matter, was just curious.

image.thumb.jpeg.26102ffb046e134fb24126a0272905f7.jpeg

3 hours ago, BoostedRooster712 said:

I can't see where it is adjustable unless I pull it apart. I've removed it and I'm not going to use it anyway so it doesn't matter, was just curious.

image.thumb.jpeg.26102ffb046e134fb24126a0272905f7.jpeg

Usually you pull out the knob and turn it to adjust the pressure. And then push it back to lock it in the position.

8 hours ago, Arttu said:

Usually you pull out the knob and turn it to adjust the pressure. And then push it back to lock it in the position.

I think the previous builder thought it was adjustable but it isn't or it is broken, the knob doesn't turn to change the flow level.

Found the type of culprit. Metal Work Pneumatic is the brand. 

h x x ps://www.airportcomponents.com/en/product/micro-regulator-bit-coupling-1-4-regulation-04-bar-metalwork-5207002/

Maybe it has seized. I will put it in the bin.

• 2 months later...