How to Refurb swinging arm

baza

Hi Guys 

The swinging arm on my 1100m Is looking a bit sorry for itself. Who ever had it before me put underseal on it around the linkage area . And it has quite a few scratches. Does anyone know the best way to get the original finish .

P.S hope everyone has a great christmas

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few thoughts which might help you to choose the way to go.  First off, if you decide to replace it with another I'd suggest that if you are doing it to get an unscratched / unchipped one fitted you're almost inevitably going to be disappointed.  Anything you pick up second hand is going to be cosmetically less than perfect - probably you'll get a tidy one but I'm guessing that if it's got scratches on it then it defeats the object of what you're doing.  Then you have to ask what sort of state the bearings are in - you may end up having to replace these - more expense.  My feeling is that if you already have a decent swinger but just need it cosmetically refreshing then stick with what you have and sort it.

So, you have two options.  Pretty sure you cannot get a powdercoat finish which matches the original satin / matt silver finish.  But that will be the most durable finish if you don't mind the change - course, you're going to have to replace the bearings if you powdercoat.  If you really want the OEM finish then I would look at taking the swinger down to a paint supplier to get them to match the colour.  It's not an easy colour, I don't think you'll get an easy match off the shelf.  Looking on the R S Bikepaints site for example, they don't list the swinger paint.  As to what paint to use, on something like this I would be wary of a rattlecan job as I doubt it will stand up to stones etc.  You probably want it doing by a decent paintshop who can produce a durable finish.  So, two pack?  That's if you're going to use the bike, if it's going to be a showpony and hardly ridden then durability isn't an issue.

Just my thoughts.  Personally I had my swinger powdercoated silver and stood the change in appearance as I wanted to use the bike and I wasn't convinced that any aftermarket paint was going to last the course in the long run.  I'm happy with it but it's your call.

Edited by Crass

you could always send it to a polishers?. if you look for marks mirror polishing on facebook, he does a almost factory finish buff. it sort of looks like a scotchbrite finish but does look good. i am not promoting him, its just i will be sending my exhaust off to him cos he does a bloody good job!. its just a suggestion...

• Like 2
2 hours ago, dougw said:

I read that scotchbrite followed by lacquer will give a close to factory finish, I`ve got a mirror polished 11M arm to try this on myself, if anyone's still interested when I get around to it I`ll post results..

Dougw

I will look forward to seeing your results.

16 hours ago, mr jason said:

yeah, me too. we always like pictures...

Spose I`ll have to move the arm up the "To Do" list then :)

(It`s a very long list. Went against all my principles a few years ago and sold a couple of "Project" bikes as at my current rate of progress I won`t live long enough to finish them, unless I live to about 150)

• Like 1