GS1000 CV to slide carb mod.

Hi,

Bought a basket case gs1000e. The head is a 1980 model, with home made plates with rubbers to take slide carbs instead of cv's,  K and  N filters and 4:1 baffled. The bike runs smooth on tick over and clean gear changes (slow build up) at 3500rm up to 80mph then struggles, coughs and splutters. I noticed the jets are 145, would it need this size because of the bigger intake and the modification? The carbs do not have a vacuum supply between 2-3 carbs but the tank fuel tap is not on/off type so I run it on prime with an inline on/off tap, would this make a difference? I don't know whether to try and lower the jet sizes or just source out a set of rubbers and cv carb. I took it for it's first test drive today 50 miles, will check the plugs this evening to see if they are too rich,

any thoughts please,

jim

Some people say the taps 'Prime' setting works good for WOT - i'm not convinced! Why would you need to fill float bowls at max flow rate? A reasonable dribble will do the job in about 30 seconds. If so, fuel starvation is a possibility in your case ie. when you need the flow into the bowls it ain't there! 145 MJ's probably fitted to cope with the free flow K&N's - more air needs more fuel! You could source some screw in nipples to make a vacuum line connection to the inlet rubbers / adapter plates / or even into the carb bodies.

Thanks for your replies, Hope to get some photos in the next day or two. I also bought a 1978 gs1000e which is pretty stock, apart from 4:1, but the carbs are a mess, being stood for 20 years, they have the vacuum pipe between 2-3, I have stripped them right down and have a kit coming, they look like stock 95 main jets, although everything is a bit rusty and faded.

Never felt right leaving bike on prime while running, like the idea of sourcing another vacuum from the intake, 

Changing the subject, I have just seen these carbs off a local marketplace, just says kawasaki mikuni's, don't think they are 650, but seems like a strange box under number 2, would that be an american emisions thing? guy asking 150 euros 

m2.jpg

m1.jpg

I think those are 28mm (1979 Kawi).  The hump lump or bump on the number 2 bowl was a cast in “boss” to pump feed 4 venturi nozzles. The ‘76 & ‘77 kwackers had 26mm with no pump.  I think in some cases the the slide cutaway differed for the kawais and Suzukis 

On 8/13/2022 at 3:05 AM, BigT said:

Are the MJ 145 Mikuni?  Because that would be really rich. Should be around 125.

But, are they Dynojet MJ?

Since the carbs aren't stock, some pictures might help

I will drop the bowls and re check the main jet sizes, will also see if the intake on number 1 will vacuum,

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0036 (2).JPG

On 8/14/2022 at 5:01 AM, Scotia1000 said:

No mixture screw on base, so not suzuki carbs?

Yep, Kawasaki carbs or a mongrel.   Suzuki carbs would have the pilot fuel screw underneath, a plastic covered lever on the choke and the vacuum port on #3.  Does that jet really say Solex 145?  Solex? I have no idea how that converts to Mikuni. Buy some Mikuni 125 main jets and see if it runs better

i took  a set of mj 95 of my other gs 1000 carbs and tried them, it ran rough, sounded like fuel starvation, although tick over was higher? missing and back firing. i have a good set of cvs of an 83 kawasaki  1000j, i read that they might fit on the 1980 cv gs1000, they look like 39-40mm od on the intake with 35 mm spacing 1-2 +3-4

and 56mm from 2-3, anyone know what size the intake rubbers are on the cv gs 1000? i have seen the conversion intakes, slide to cv but cant get any sizes for stock cv intake rubbers

DSC_0094.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG