750 crank big bore ...

Crazylien

Hello i was wondering if anyone ever has tryed something like this ? I'm planning some performance oil cooled engine build in the near future . first i was thinking about using my slabside 1054 cc cranckcase and placing a slabbie 750 gearbox in it since they are straight swap  . still i want something with the  old scool hi revving racer feeling and after doing some math i found out that even on "only"  14500 rpm a slab 1100 with a stroke of 58 mm had an average pistonspeed of over 28m/sec !!!! Not realy what i wanted to see . still if one would use second gen 750 shortstroke of 44.7 i'm coming out on an 21m/s for reaching my desired 900cc i would need a bore of 80mm to hit 898cc but i fear that the shortstroke setup will make it hard to properly feed the big bore , still it is kinda tempting to try if you see that on 16000 rpm it still only has an average pistonspeed of 23m/s . would it be possibel to properly feed this setup ? maybe with an third gen 1100cc head since they have bigger valves ??? my second option would be to use an long stroke 750 cranck , what would be my best option ? an slabside cranck or a third gen ? with a stroke of 48.7mm the pistonspeed still only is 25m/s and is would only need a bore of 78mm to reach 930cc i think this set-up whould be more easy to feed but i fear it would not have the desired racy feeling i'm looking for .  if anyone has any ideas for me or some useful input or even ideas about what cranck of cyllinderhead whould be best or other things like what size of carburator . i would be thankful for anyone who shares his oiler experience with me .

Yep, Kokolis calls it right - there's a lot more to it than peak piston speeds . . . the stock 1100s rev limiter is at a true 10.8k, although it'll be indicating well over 11.5k, even the 750s didn't hit the high numbers on the tacho. The OC motor is a big strong motor and that's the thing, all it's internals are bigger than current high revving engines. Not mention the heat !

Good motors these old OC engines, but you need to play to their strengths, increase capacity and efficiency and you'll be okay.