front end advice

jess15

howdy, so im looking for a bit of advice, as mention in a previous post iv aquired a gs1000 , tbh honest im not really sure what to do with it, dunno wheather to go the period mods route or a more modern look, i know the front ends on suzukis are fairly interchangable but im a touch concerned about ride height, i know i need a gsx swing arm to accom a more modern wheel but what would be a good set up for the front?

I reckon it depends if you want to got for RWU, or USD.

USD and 17" rims I'm sure there are hundreds of ways and most of them will have been completed on here. Others will be along to help.

For this period of bike, though, I'd go RWU and there's a few ways that you can go.

State of the art at the time were 38mm Marzocchi or Ceriani. The Ceriani are available in various configurations, new. Either copies, or magnesium by Ceriani themselves. Deep pockets.

I've seen or been involved in several upgrades to the Marzocchi's with internals that are hidden so that you can't see how the damping is adjusted. Which is trick, but doesn't really get you very far.

Thundercat forks come out at 42 mm and are adjustable, same as some Bonneville forks, plus early R6 and Bonneville forks come in 43mm. These you can get modern cartridges for from Andreanni.

The Thundercat 42mm (actually 41.89) you can get different fork leg lengths for as, we've done some development here and they would now be available off the shelf from ABE in 3 lengths.  I've got a set of these going off to Sweden this week for Ohlins to install a set of TTX internals. This should allow one side to do compression damping and the other to do rebound. Should be a kit on the market next year some time, again deep pockets.

I've also just discovered that 45mm Triumph Daytona forks drop straight into late watermelons without even needing a shim to adjust the lengths, so this implies that they're backwards compatible with every thing else that would fit a Suzuki.  Should just be a matter of looking them up in the  archive fork chart.