Problem with GS750 clutch.

Hi all,

I have a problem with my 1979 GS750.  The problem is clutch drag, but only when cold.  I've stripped & cleaned the actuator, the cable is smooth and operates freely.  I've adjusted it almost exactly as per the Suzuki workshop manual; the only difference is I have less than 4mm clearance at the lever to try and get it to open up a bit more.

Oil is 10/40 motorcycle oil.  The problem almost totally disappears when the bike warms up, it still clunks a bit into first but no more than lots of other bikes to be honest.

The bike has done about 27k miles. It is (sorry...) standard spec except for Sito silencers. It had been standing almost unused for several years before I bought it.  I've not done many miles on it since I bought it, maybe 800 at the most.  The problem is maybe a little better, maybe I'm just getting used to it.

It never slips or judders or anything else.

Have any of you got any ideas as to what I can do to fix it please?  Does it just need more use maybe?  Or what?

Thank you.

Hi got the same problem on my gs550. Clutch drags - when the engine is running could change back from 1st to neutral with 4mm clearance at the lever.

Adjusted the gap slightly smaller and was bit better.

So have tried adjusting the running clearance (as per manual) on adjuster from 1/2 turn to 1/4. Thought try different running clearances to see which works the best.

Will let u know how I get on - waiting for set of vacuum guages this week to get the carbs sorted before I can check the clutch again.

• Like 1

'From the Manual' settings are great for initial set up but are based on brand new bikes with brand new components which neither of yours are! You adjust things to make them work or how you want them to feel - I don't think any 'seasoned' bike mechanic adjusts controls 'by the book' Wear has a big effect on how things work and feel!

• Like 2
On 5/24/2021 at 8:13 PM, StevieB said:

Hi got the same problem on my gs550. Clutch drags - when the engine is running could change back from 1st to neutral with 4mm clearance at the lever.

Adjusted the gap slightly smaller and was bit better.

So have tried adjusting the running clearance (as per manual) on adjuster from 1/2 turn to 1/4. Thought try different running clearances to see which works the best.

Will let u know how I get on - waiting for set of vacuum guages this week to get the carbs sorted before I can check the clutch again.

On 5/25/2021 at 9:34 AM, Gixer1460 said:

'From the Manual' settings are great for initial set up but are based on brand new bikes with brand new components which neither of yours are! You adjust things to make them work or how you want them to feel - I don't think any 'seasoned' bike mechanic adjusts controls 'by the book' Wear has a big effect on how things work and feel!

Thank you Stevie B and Gixer1460.  I've done as suggested and reset the adjustment from 1/2 turn to 1/4, and it's made a tremendous difference.  I might try reducing it a bit more yet; as long as there's still a definite bit of clearance I can't see that it can do any harm can it?

Also, I think that part of the problem is that the bike races a bit when I first start it, so today I let it warm up so that it'd tick over at about 1000rpm, maybe a bit less, before I put it in gear.  I'm going to take the tank off to do the petrol tap soon, so I'll balance the carbs etc. while I'm at it.

Thanks for helping, the problem is much improved now, more or less as good as I'd expect.

Cheers, Brian.

Edited by BrianUK