1984-5 GS1150 camshaft specs .....please..!!

Katmandoo

Not new to Oldskoolsuzuki, but it's been a long time since I checked these pages and I'm happy to say that like a prodigal son I have returned.  A bit battered and bruised in the meantime but my motivation to finish a project I started 7 years ago has not left me.  Something about an itch I think.

I am the happy owner of 2 Katanas. 82 1000 SZ and an 83 1100 SD. The first bike I've had since 1986. I picked up a 750 Kat frame many moons ago and started collecting parts for a project build. I'm currently working on an 83 1100 E engine I'd like to fit in the frame. Very mild modifications consist of Wiseco performance pistons taking the engine to an 1134, some basic head work to valve seats and valves. I was looking at camshafts a long time ago but all the performance cams have got some serious lift and require rockers to be specially hardened. All adding a lot of dollars to the project. I've heard that the camshafts from an 84-85 1150 can add a bit of extra pep to the engine so was wondering about their viability..or..if anyone knows of some OEM Suzuki camshafts that would work better then I'd be open to any suggestions. I don't want to go crazy with the hp ( I know.....I'm a 58 yr old pussy ) but want to build something reliable and that won't stress the internals of an engine that's getting harder and harder to find parts for. I understand that grafting an oil cooled lump in the frame may be a cheaper and easier option but I agree with those that favor the air cooled engines for the way they lay down their power and for their sheer sexy looks.

Anyway, I'm rambling and don't want to get banned on my first post. Amongst all my parts I have several camshafts whose engines I know they came from. I've got one pair I cannot place and a measurement of the cam lobe profiles rendered the following info. Intake cam lift...4.623mm and exhaust cam lift...4.927mm. I'm hoping that someone might have a Suzuki service manual for the 1150 and let me know whether I've gone and picked up some cams from this bike and have forgotten about it. Would be greatly appreciated.

I know that pics are always appreciated and I promise (honest) that not only will I post pics of the project once it's completed and confirmed to be "alive" but I'd also like to share info of all the parts I've used with their specific years complete with measurements in the event that it may be of use to someone.

Thanks for taking the time to wade through this post. I hope you can help me out.

• Like 2

Big bore and higher CR is nice! But before you do anything, make sure you've got a good exhaust!

Don't get high performance cams on stock CR, it will make your bike slower.

My advice, go for a big bore and higher CR, after that you can choose different cams.

Hopefully someone can correct me, or add more information.