1127 oil cooled into GS1000 questions

I have come across a gsxr1100 with a cracked frame and picked it up for $450.  I have a complete and running gs550 and a spare 78 gs1000 frame.  I've found most of the information I've needed through searching this forum and others.  I had a couple questions left that I need answers to and figured you guys might be able to lend me some help.  My plans are to use the swingarm I have from the 1100 on the 1000 frame, and swap everything swingarm back over. Weld up a mount for the mono shock and run the gsxr suspension.  My question is what kind of modifications am I going to have to do to the frame in regards of chain clearance?  I saw a build where the guy said he had to cut out sections of the tubular frame and reinforce and brace it internally, and I also believe I read that it should clear with a 520 conversion? Can anyone verify this?

Also I'd like to swap my 90 front end over as well.  Will the triples just swap over with different bearings or is there going to be extensive modification needed to bring over the whole front end?  My end goal is to combine my 550 and my gsxr1100 on to the gs1000 frame and get a fully running functional bike by spring.  I plan on bracing the frame for the added horsepower and fabricating custom engine mounts.  Also saw that there was possibly a template for this swap somewhere on the forums but I couldn't locate.  if anyone has this template and wants to sell the mount plates then I'd be willing to purchase them to save me the measuring and fabricating.

Welcome.
You may get more answers if you hello first .
1. which GSXR1100 is it?
2. yes the 520 chain can do the job if it's a 5.5" wheel, and you can move the motor over 5mm.
3. what is the front end you have?
GS and GSXR front ends will swop over with no messing apart from making new lock stops, but some of the GSXR front ends are too short and you may get problems with ground clearance depending on the zorst your going to use.

• 1 month later...

Welcome.
You may get more answers if you hello first .
1. which GSXR1100 is it?
2. yes the 520 chain can do the job if it's a 5.5" wheel, and you can move the motor over 5mm.
3. what is the front end you have?
GS and GSXR front ends will swop over with no messing apart from making new lock stops, but some of the GSXR front ends are too short and you may get problems with ground clearance depending on the zorst your going to use.

Thank you for the response Wraith.

Apparently my email notifications for responses on the thread went to a spam folder >.<

The GSXR1100 front end is from a 1990.  It has RSU forks.  I'm planning on using the whole front end so I can use the stock clip ons and lower down the seating position a bit. Attached is a photo of the GSXR1100 as it sits right now. I'm not sure of the actual model of it, maybe by looking you can tell. Forks are in good shape its just the subframe that cracked.  

If I do use a 520 with a 5.5inch wheel  and move the engine over as you've said, Do I need to have an offset front sprocket or should that line it up? Would a 180 tire be too big?  The only thing that really has me worried from this project is mounting the swingarm as it needs to be machined down, and the chain alignment and clearance.  Should make a fun winter project though.

received_1462020524088509.jpeg

The GSXR looks like the GSXR1100K 1992 (I think)
I may be wrong but I thort the GSXR swing arm went in the GS1000 frame ok just needs new top hats making?
To get more room on the chain part you can put a GS500 (twin) sprocket carrer on the GSXR wheel and that gives you more room.
The bigest problem you will have is the chain next to the frame and keeping it all in line, it can be done it's just taking your time and a bit of in and out with the back wheel.
I'm using the same forks on my Kat but I've got GSXR750 WR rear end.
this is my kat
katmay143_zps52107e7f.jpg
katmay141_zpsd649cee5.jpg

• Like 1