Clutch not engaging

Meerkat

Hi Guys,

Apologies for not being more regular on the site than I have in the last year or so. Illness, life, work etc.

I wonder if someone could help with a query I have please ?

After rebuilding my 1990 GSXR 11 (not engine rebuild) I have found that the clutch wont engage properly. When the bike is in gear and the clutch lever is pulled to engage....it still is in gear and wont 'free wheel' ?!?!?

The engine isn't running again yet (another story) but as a rolling chassis I cant understand why  it wont engage ? It did before I did the rebuild.

I did drain the engine oil prior to strip down and only recently refilled. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

I second @fatblokeonbandit. Verify correct engine oil level. Too much oil can hydro lock the clutch basket. Verify proper clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder bleed. Clutch master cylinder may need rebuilt as it may not be generating enough pressure to move the pressure plate. Good luck.

Edited by Captn
13 hours ago, fatblokeonbandit said:
  • If its bleed properly, Plates are stuck because its been sat, its not disengaging properly, fire it up and hold brakes on and put it in gear, might take a few attempt, but it will free off ..:tu

Thanks for all replies and advice guys. The bleed was done extensively and properly so that shouldn't be an issue. Oil level is high....but not overly. Time will tell when the motor fires up and we see how it performs :-)

• Like 1

Do you mean it won't disengage? I.e. the clutch is dragging and when in gear with the engine running and you pull the lever in to disengage the clutch, the bike still wants to creep forwards? If the lever feels 'normal' then I agree with FBOAB. Try what he says then if that doesn't work, have a look at the clutch plates.