Hello im new here

HWB

5 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

There is no difference in plug threads - all years are 12mm. They may have had different design electrodes / heat ranges but not significant. The 91-92 heads (shims) had a different casting with slightly different port profiles and angles and obviously to accommodate the different cam arrangement. Blandits are more likely to use the earlier Slingshot head 87-90 as they were fitted with 36mm carbs and tappet valve adjustment.

Shim heads take bigger valves 30 / 26mm - i've got them in my turbo but if you want to go bigger it will require engineering to re-centre the guides / valves. This is a likely requirement if 175hp is a target

So there is virtually no difference between 89-90 heads and 86-88 heads ? They are the same ? Also do you recommend going bigger on valves with the shim head with no cams ? Cause i cant find any cams for the shim head, or could i produce more power with the rocker head with big cams and big valves ? When you said shim heads take 30-26 did you mean rocker heads dont have the clearance for 30-26 ? 

This is hard work! Tappet heads and shim heads are essentially the same other than the differences noted above - they both will take 30 / 26mm valves (but different ones due to the valve operation) and both will require work if larger valves are required. My shim style turbo cam was ground specifically for that / my engine. Chances of finding any performance cams for 30 year old engines is hard although tappet type probably easier but less and less used these days!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

This is hard work! Tappet heads and shim heads are essentially the same other than the differences noted above - they both will take 30 / 26mm valves (but different ones due to the valve operation) and both will require work if larger valves are required. My shim style turbo cam was ground specifically for that / my engine. Chances of finding any performance cams for 30 year old engines is hard although tappet type probably easier but less and less used these days!

Actually the only reason im considering a rocker head is the availability of aftermarket cams plus its less work then actually converting the shim head to rocker( cheaper too). But i wonder if keeping the shim head would be a better choice since it flows better and if i put in 30-26 on stock cams should i be seeing same results as rocker head with 30-26 plus cams ? I mean whats the ultimate engine combo?

So i can see more hp with a rocker head with cams ? As for compression i have access to 98 octane so i dont thint that would be an issue sorry for so many questions mate i appreciate all your help

Edited by HWB