Drilled Rotors for Old School Suzi's

Hi Gang,

I'm looking to replace the original front brake rotors on my 79 GS750E (not because they're too thin)

I had the brake calipers powder black-coated last summer and I figure it would be nice to put some of those pretty drilled (slotted) rotors on to give the bike a more modern, aggressive look

The problem is that I can only seem to find '"floating" rotors  that are 5mm thick:

https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/EBC-VMD-Classic-Style-Brake-Discs-for-Suzuki.html

https://www.denniskirk.com/ebc/front-right-left-and-rear-vintage-disc-brake-rotor-vmd3014.p1912032.prd/1912032.sku

210519293_SuzukiGS750FrontSlottedRotor.thumb.jpg.4b3bd7671e264b7ef49d0095fac8478e.jpg

I really don't want to replace my healthy 6mm rotors with 5mm rotors if I don't have to, and secondly, I don't even know if you should or could. In other words would 5mm thick rotors be acceptable, would they have the same stopping power, etc. etc. etc.???

I'd love to put these on, but currently there's only one left on E-Bay and apparently the Australian company that makes them doesn't ship to the US:

https://www.Eblag.com/itm/Front-Brake-Disc-Rotor-For-Suzuki-GS1100-GS1000-GS850-GS750-GS650-E-G-GL-L-S-ES/323879859555?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 

This is really the rotor I'd love to replace my rotors with vs. the floating EBC rotors but they're not available anywhere, so if any of you guys know where they can be sourced or something similar, I'd really appreciate the info.

1303064772_GS750FrontRotor.thumb.jpg.e4ef0c510ac2eb4c0269c71da9290c0e.jpg

Thanks.....

Edited by Neveragain55
spelling correction

Have you looked to see if there is a machine shop that will drill your rotors for a decent price?  There may be one that will do it on an exchange basis.  I remember years ago reading an article about drilling you own rotors; there might be something out there on the net about it.

I like the rotors on the links you provided, but not the costs.  For that much I can upgrade to more modern wheels, brakes, and suspension with salvage parts.

The sample rotor that you pictured looks to be 82-3 GS 1100e, and probably others.

Truedisk can resurface and drill rotors. I've read of a few who used them and they were happy with the work. No personal experience though.  

Edit... just noticed thst you are aware of the rotor / model info...

Edited by Dorkburger
17 hours ago, Poldark said:

I like the rotors on the links you provided, but not the costs.  For that much I can upgrade to more modern wheels, brakes, and suspension with salvage parts.

Wise words there and had it not been for cash flow being a bit hit and miss, that's the route I would've taken. It definitely cost more to get my fork legs overhauled than it would've been to get a more up to date complete front end

3 hours ago, Neveragain55 said:

I'll look into that and do some research on it.

These attachments might help you out with that; credit goes to whoever compiled 'em :tu

Suzuki Fork Seal Sizes

Think this was saved from the old OSS forum; maybe someone here has a larger version they could share?

906284807_suz103ossforks.jpg.088f7485d33212269119fa117b8415c4.jpg

23 hours ago, Neveragain55 said:

I'd love to put these on, but currently there's only one left on E-Bay and apparently the Australian company that makes them doesn't ship to the US:

https://www.Eblag.com/itm/Front-Brake-Disc-Rotor-For-Suzuki-GS1100-GS1000-GS850-GS750-GS650-E-G-GL-L-S-ES/323879859555?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649            

The seller of these is in China mate (see his feedback page) . Also, in the shipping exclusion list, there's no mention of not being able to ship to the U.S; in fact, shipping to the States is free.

I'll bet money that these same disks can also be found on the aliexpress website for less money ;)

Thanks for all the info guys,

I wound up buying two NOS OEM front brake rotors and a good drill press. ($99.00 each for the NOS rotors)

I watched a bunch of videos on YouTube and I'm pretty confidant that I can just get a template (of which there are dozens of free brake rotor drill templates off of the internet) or I could just make my own pattern, and drill them myself, it doesn't look too difficult at all.

All you have to do is gradually step up in diameter size of the drill bits starting out small, watch your speed, use a good lubricant, take your time, and it should come out just fine.

I'll post pictures when I'm done, thanks again everybody 

• Like 1