ATU question GS1000?

CockneyRick

That doesn't look right.  O-rings are normally used to seal fluids; nothing to seal there.  I looked at a spare one from my box of parts; no evidence of O-rings.  Is your "bag" a rebuild kit or just a bag holding the small bits from when it was disassembled?  If the latter, maybe the O-rings are for something else and they inadvertently ended up in the bag.  Try assembly without them, then test it.  Should have free, smooth motion, no binding.

The bit you seem to be missing with have a 'tag' on the outside - this is the bit that passes the ign. pick-up to trigger the spark. It moves / revolves via the little bump - as the arms move out against the spring through centrifugal force, they force the tag to advance its position in relation to static position. Its clunky and mechanical, but it works. See Picture - not GS1000 but similar 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Like 1

Crank end should be the same on both.  Years ago, I was in a bind when the electronic ignition module on my GS550/650 burned out.  I was far from home but able to get to a small motorcycle salvage.  Swapped out electronic for breaker point ignition.  At the time, I didn't know the difference in resistance ratings on the coils.  It ran great until the lower resistance coils burned up.  I should have taken the coils from the donor bike. I remember the donor bike being a cb550; Suzuki and H**da used a common supplier for ignition components.   Or maybe I was punished for installing parts from a H**da in my Suzuki?