During the festive holidays I received some heated grips. Last week I fitted them without any tears, until I put the voltmeter on to make sure that the old girl could produce enough amps to power them.

There was a brand new looking electrex regulator fitted when I bought the bike(Gsx engined 1000) 2 years ago, so I was quite disappointed to see the voltmeter rolling up to 18v. I dont know how long its been like this, not long I thought as the battery hasnt boiled dry. The first sign used to be bulbs blowing, but leds aren't as voltage sensitive.

Yesterday I received a new to me sh650 regulator, off a zx6r I think. Fitting was straight forwards, even the holes line up. voltage 13.2 at tickover, and 14.5 steady from 1500 rpm.

cool.

Lets go for a spin. Wandered over to St Austell, 20 miles maybe, scudding the black clouds. heated grips were ok,  but as I stopped at a roundabout I heard the dreaded, du, du, of an occasional misfire. Within 15mins I was down to 2 cylinders, and it was raining steadily.

Still charging ok, and no difference when grips, and lights off.

Ugh.

Back home on 2 pots. No fun.

Quick wash down and away. Maybe I disturbed a coil wire fitting the grips, but it felt like the voil for 2/3 has expired.

Hopefully all will be revealed tomorrow.