GSXR1100L lockstops. Help please.

MJ

Can someone please enlighten me on this one. I know they should be there. You know they should be there.. Why does my recently acquired 1100 frame appear to have a sand-cast finish where the lockstops should be? It came with a ZX7R front end, not dissimilar in locks to the GSXR1000 that I now have dummied into place. So I would understand why they may/have been removed. But the finish has me somewhat confused. It's not a big issue, but now that I'm here, do I replace the stops, as per std Slingshot. Or do I just have pads welded in place like the GSXR1000?

20191022_171654.jpg

20191022_171609.jpg

20191022_171621.jpg

6 minutes ago, 370steve said:

looks to me like they have been removed then the frame has been blasted, thats why it all matches :ph34r:

Maybe Steve. If that's the case, someone has gone to a lot of trouble to make it a very uniform finish. The machining for the lower stem bearing surface still appears to be untouched as well. It's a GV73A if that is of any relevance to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, it looks like you could bolt two chunks of steel on ether side of the head light bracket.

Maybe start with 1/4" x 1/2" x  about 1 1/4" long with a 1/4" hole in one end accordingly.

If it doesn't stop soon enough - use thicker steel.

Conversely, you could add bolt on rubber stops to the frame.( These hit the forks)

I have done this on some race bikes and it works great!

I don't recommend welding as it can change the heat treatment down to T-0 (Very soft) plus it's a casting!!

This photo is my 87  1100 with custom yokes...

Stop.jpg

Edited by Sagot