Opinion on gs700es

prichmon

Is a gs700es rare and valuable enough to save even if it needs a engine rebuild?

What is the thoughts of value on one with a broken timing chain? At least 1 broken rocker.

Are the 700es' common enough to not be missed if a couple are parted?

What interchanges between gs700 and 750 4 valves? Do all the bank and performance parts work?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rich

Depends if you are in the UK or USA a the 700's were US market only as far as I am aware.

In the UK the 750's are decent all rounders but will never be worth that much as they aren't rare or popular enough,  in the UK  one with a broken engine would be worth  around £2 - 300 ish.

I'd imagine that external tuning parts would be similar between the two although I'm not sure whats available apart from exhausts and filter, I'm sure a grown up will be along soon enough to confirm.

In the usa. 1 year only 1985. I'm looking at 800 for 1 complete and 1 donor parts bike. Various fairings and bits.

Complete bike has the broken chain and rocker which I suspect at least 1 piston hit valves.

The donor has a bad 2nd gear.

If the engines could be repaired for moderate cost I'm in. I dont know until it comes out of the bike.

If parts are interchangeable between 700 and 750es I have a much larger pool of parts to work from. If not I may be out of luck.

Thanks

Rich

In the mid 1980's, the US government at the request of H-D (the only remaining US motorcycle manufacturer at the time) placed import tariffs on motorcycles 700cc and larger.  The piston diameters on most imported 750cc were reduced to make them 699cc or less.  US 700's should have parts interchange with non-US 750's.  700 could be bored out for 750 pistons.

$800 seems a bit much for two non runners.  You could give the seller your name and number and tell him to give you a call when he's ready to take $500.